Replaced that with a used Original starter motor from EBay,
Starts great from Cold and will not start when warm/hot
Any help or advice please,
John

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

When warm or hot does the engine crank or solenoid click? Battery terminals clean?

Not cranking when hot is a classic sign of a bad starter.

These starters are easy enough to rebuild if you're mechanically inclined, or easy for a automotive electrical shop to rebuild.

Q

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Might want to check your electrical connections. The ground connects behind the triangle plate for the rear motor mount. Take it off, clean it up and put some dielectric grease on it before re-attaching...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with my 75 Gl1000.Probably not your problem but, I used seafoam in the tank.Half of a can.The Seafoam pulled up enough crud in the gas tank to plug the screens inside.I would turn it off and it wouldnt restart.
Over night the crud would float away from the screens and it would start just fine.It sputtered occasionally.After more miles the crud became firmly lodged in the screens and no start and no fuel being extracted via the fuel pump.
The moral is ,if your going to clean an old fuel system be ready for the solvent effect to dislodge some corrosion if there is any.
Personally I wouldn't use seafoam in a bike that hasn't had the gas tank checked out first.Thats assuming its been stored for a length of time.
My pain is your gain.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Ka-Ja,

Did you ever get your problem solved?

That was sort of what mine was doing but never got to the point where it would never start... close but no cigar!

I "refreshed" my started and all is great with the universe.

Mine would go Rrrrr... Rrrrr... Rrrrr then nothing. Sometimes it did not even do that... just Rrr... and then stall and not rotate. I knew the battery was good.

Openup your starter and do this...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/73447.html

Try this and good luck!

Tim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.