Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

:waving: Hello again fellow goldwingers just wondering if anyone has advice about how to match the best componants with the new dyna ignition and 3 ohm dyna coils I just got and which are the best spark plugs to use and if I should disconnect the condensor. Well any thoughts would be great and thanks for looking at my post have a great day everyone!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Just thought id throw this out their I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on timing a gl 1000. What is better and more accurate static timing or strobe light timing I have a dyna electronic ignition. I have a strobe light and the special cross hair glass plug to do the timing but I dont have a static timing light tool is it worth buying this or stick with the strobe light merhod?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
imported post

The condensor needs to be disconnected with the Dyna ignition. The ballast resistor can and should be eliminated from the circuit with the Dyna coils. Dynamic timing is always better but good luck using the sight glass. So much oil is splashed up it is almost impossible to see the mark. Static timing has always worked very well for me. A multimeter can sub for the (tool) which is just a 12 volt light bulb with 2 clips. As you are going to Dyna coils and ignition, regular NGK D8EA plugs will work just fine. The gap will go up to .035 now with the Dyna package.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I use static , cause the strobe into that little hole , it is so hard to see, even with the site glass, besides , I still use points and do the split timing method from Randakk.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Great info guys thanks for your help I learn something new from the great people of this site everyday thanks again! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

once you have it set , with Dyna, you won't need to do it again, in theory.

·
1,820 Posts
imported post

I always use the strobe ligth , and i dont find it diffycult.It is for sure the most accurate method , and compensate for mechanical wear and slack , and it is easy to check the timing advance .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.