Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I made a handy tool from a piece of steel bar with a notch in the end to fit into the groove to remove the bottom race which was the problem. I put the new bearings and torqued them to the spec listed in the Honda manual. But I can not find a setting in either the Honda manual or the Clymer manual for the nut that goes on the top of the upper triple tree. Does anyone know how much its supposed to get torqued to? Thanks again for all your help. This is for a 1978 GL1000.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

100N-m or if your not metricized 73ft-lb.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Roger, the instructions are in the Honda manual, section 12, pages 25 to 28. Steeringhead bearing adjustment nut is 11 ft/lbs, the steering head top thread (B) is not torqued. It is held in place by the tab washer. The steering stem nut is 72 ft/lbs. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Did I mention that this is for a 1978 GL1000? In the Honda Manual that I have, Chapter 12 is the chapter on the final drive.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I'm a bit late in reporting here, but the specs given to you are for the GL1100. For your 1978 GL1000, the steering nut is tightened to 22-28 ft.-lb. to seat the bearings. Then loosen the steering nut and retighten to 11-13 ft.-lbs. Of course, if the steering feels too tight or loose after tightening to 11-13 ft.-lbs, I would readjust as required, using the feel of the steering as my final adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.