Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

ive been a member small time i have a 79 1000 and recently did atrip to IN. from fla. and back things went great got 154 miles on 3.3 gallons gas. used no oil. i find the rpm alittle or alot high at 70. so iam doing the final drive switch and front end switch for bigger rims and lower rpm ive got the 1980 forks and 83 front and 1980 final drive my only choice on rear wheels is 17 250 or 16 300 comstar i think im going for the 16wheel i have everthing i need except axle caps for the front and hoping speedo gear will swop with 1000. need info on fork overhaul. i know about axcle drive switch from wheel to wheel . any info will be welcome. joedrum

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Speedometer drive won't interchange. And I don't think the 83 wheel will work very well on the 80 forks.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

hope ican find all the parts ineed on the front the bigger tires sure be better on the hyway but have the option of the 19 200 rim. speed gear and frork caps not found yet.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

thanks brokewinger for replying iknow it sounds like a big pprogect but ithink im having more problems with my computer skills i hope to get better i just want to get forks with air and air on rear to better choice of tires and lower the rpm as much as possible being a drummer i do a lot of tavel the old forks and shocks and lack of tire choices makes for getting stuck somewhere waiting for tires trying to get same as harly tires be no poblem then

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

been working alot the only thing ive done is put 83 wheel on the 1000 forks went rite on no problem only fender clearence.been on to small working trips about 1000 miles much more stable with fatter tire over road transitions in road work areas.wanting to get started with rear wheel and final drive switch soon. any comments welcome

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

its been awhile sence i last post but the progect is going good ive put on 80 forks 83 wheel and rotors 79 brakes and speed gear with moderate mods to get everthing to line up. now switching out swingarms drive shafts out swiching 1000 u joint to 1100 driveshaft machineing 1000 pivit bolts to work 1100 swingarm and afew minor mods for air shocks when back is done it will have 83 swingarm,80 finale drive 82 16 inch wheel i'll keep posting updates

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Going out today to switch driveshafts ends today and check on pivit blots and sleeves that needed machineing.im sure changing ends isnt hard maybe special tool some how im going to get it done. im ready to get this progect done. bike down 3 days so far. joedrum

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

i found one but was able to modify a 1200 fork cap to work on the 1980 forks it was alittle teideous. well fonmd out today that you cant just change the small u jiont ends from 1000 to 1100 shaft so its either change the unchangeable joint or cut shafts and put back together. on the good side mods to pivit bolts and sleeves will be ready firday.going to get some more insite with machineist and driveshaft co. ill post better update nextime joedrum

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Wouldnt the complete 1100 drive shaft work ? I havent done any measuring but the trans spline appears the same . I would have some reservations about cutting and welding a drife shaft.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Me to but the small end on the 1100 shaft is one inch longer than the one on the 1000 shaft meaning if you hook it up without changeing the ends you couldnt get the swing arm to line up with the pivit bolts on the 1000 frame you would lack one inch getting there.today my brother took shafts to machine shop and it appears we have a way to change the unchangeable ends without cutting theshafts this very good newsbetter yet it mtght all be done tomarrow for assimbly friday. this has been a very good day hope iexplained that rite the actual splines do line up joedrum

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

This whole progject been onawingandaprayer thanks for your intrest just where is san antionio fla .

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Joe , San Antonio is in Pasco County . I'd guess about 50ish miles west of Orlando . And A tiny bit south . 28 miles north of Tampa just off I-75 .

Its good to hear you have found a way to correct the drivshaft . Could you post any pics when this is done ? It might help others in the future .

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Iwould sure like to, but i am a computer idiot. all my life i have worked with my hands and getting on the forums and posting and trying to remember how to spell words i havent used in 30 years been harder and more uncomfortable than t6he poject im doing its a breeze in comparisom but i will try to figure it ouy with help from my sister inlaw. on the project side i havent done anything about having to use old unknown brake lines from the salvageyard, it would great to replace withstainless steel lines to much cost rite now.so if anybody has some insite on this matter id be grateful.i would like to buy some auto brake lines and fittings if i could get some banjo fitting i could work with or if i could figure out away to clean out the rubber brake lines with some confidence that they are realy clean not realy wanting my braking system to go down hill joedrum

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

Most truck driveline shops would have no trouble cutting, welding, and balancing his shaft. In some cases U joints are made with diffent sizes on the ends to adapt drivelines.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

I washoping my stuff was going to be done today yeah cokkie thats my feeling to. i had to get some machineing done to the pivit bolts and sleeves and they are machineing the joint out this somewhat out of my hands rite now but its going to get done and done rite. im thinking about modifying the 1000 brake caliper to use on the 1100 swingarm in my case the brakes are the same except for the way there held. any comments on this welcomed the 1100 set up seems a little fimsy but have no experence with it at all but the 1000 set up is realy ridgid. just thinking only rite now. there is no way i can put any before pics as the machine shop has all the stuff now i dont even know where it is my brother is handleing that. joedrum

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

Joe I understand about the pictures deal . I havent mastered that myself . I think there is a tutorial here .

I had a set of Stainless braided lines built for my 83 at a hydraulic hose shop . He had the banjo and other fittings needed . yep its a bit costly almost $200 I think it was for the 3 line set . But he made them while I waited . LOL I had to wait cause he built them as I removed them one at a time , bled the brakes in his lot and rode home .

I can understand your feeling of the 1100 caliper assy being somewhat flimsy . I like it better than the 1000 though . The 1100 caliper floats on the pins and I think thats what you refer to as flimsy . Oh and I guess the track bar for the caliper maybe is not rigid like the 1000 bolted to swingarm unit .

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Thanks for your opinion i probably wont change the brake set up ive done enough mods just to much idle time waiting for parts iprobably need to bite the bulet on the brake lines so far i cant bring myself to use old ones. still sitting on fence about how much the machineing cost is going to be.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

well ididnt get any paRTS TODAY so everything is on hold i was looking today at the back brakes and notice the big differences from 1000 and 1100 the 1000 has piston on either side of the rotor the 1100 one side like the front hope everybody has agood 4th joedrum

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Still waiting on parts maybe this afternoon i cant beleave its taking so long seems to me you need to do what you say instead of saywhat ever it takes to get the job and then put you off. if i was at home everything in one day. its been over a week now. in farm country when you haft to have it now these people would be lynched from the opportunenity to do anything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.