Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

the tachometer on my gl1000 moves very slow. Is there anyway to fix this problem. It isn't the cable becauseI have another one from a parts bike and it works fine.I don't want to use the one from the parts bike because it dose not have a temp gage on it. I was thinking ifI cant fix it I could add a after market temp gage and use the other tachometer. thanks

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I would at least try the other tach to see if it works, if it does then your old tach is bad. If not then the cable drive might need to be looked at.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The innards of the tach are pretty simple, a spinning magnet that's turned by the cable links an aluminum plate that's attached to the tach needle. About the only thing that can make it slow is the needle bearings are crudded up with old lubricant. If you're hearing a noise from the tach it's likely that the bushing where the cable goes into the case is worn. If a shot of light oil there makes it work better momentarily that's the culprit. If not you might try heating the tach with a hair dryer or light bulb, get it up to 120 degrees or so, not to worry, they get hotter on a hot sunny day, and see if it works better. If it does the problem is in the needle bearings. These things can be cleaned or repaired. I've done it on a speedometer which is basically the same thing. You'll usually need to cut the case open just under the chrome bezel and have a way to close it later, JB Weld will work for that. You can also have these things repaired. Do a google on repairing speedometers or tachometers and you'll find plenty of shops that do the job.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

thanks ill try it tomorrow. it is probably the bearings bacause the oil dose nothing for it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.