Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday,

I am currently restoring the tank in my GL1000 and bought the por15 product kit but did not realise it had the internal lines and screens. I got a message back fro Randakk saying to still use it but blow some compressed air in the lines to clear the after the liner goes in (great advise) just wandering if anyone out there has done the tank with this product and had any extra advise from experience eg, should I try and remove the pick up screens or leave them in there? Or try and put the liner chemical in there and try and roll it around without touching the screens. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.:baffled:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
POR15 is about the best you will get. Blow the lines and tape up the screens if you can.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great idea trying to tape the screens up a bit first. I might try and get a bit of duct tape onto them. If it keeps most of the liner off then mission accomplished I suppose. Have you ever used the tank sealer yourself? There is 1litre of the stuff which seems like a lot. I have 2 tanks available and was thinking about trying to do both tanks with the one kit so that if I mess one up then the other might be ok or at least a well sealed spare tank to throw in the shed for backup.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I used it on my GL1100 tank. Half a litre seen me through and got a good slosh all around the tank. I used the other half litre in a Ducati tank, which had been leaking at the hinge end (a common rot spot). Both tanks still working 4 years later.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Legend. Thanks Alan for passing on your experience. I will give it a go. Thanks mate

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
I used it on my 1000 eight years ago and the tank is still in same condition. Best advise is to follow directions to the letter. I didn't have to block the lines or the screen. You have to turn the tank over and let the excess drain out after coating with the Por-15. That cleared the screen and the lines. But probably still best to blow out the lines.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that Tom. Will keep in mind mate

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Air works but I just rotated the tank carefully and didn't get any of the sealer on the screens. Use as little as possible start with a 1/4 of the can you can always add more but hard to get too much back out. Pour in with the tank tilted forward but away from the main screen..then start rotating it to right side first, then across/up the back and down the other side then block off the sender port and do the top. Avoid pooling..IE too much sealer in one spot..

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I used por15 on a Honda CD175 about 8 years ago and it's still doing the job. I had tried some other tank sealer before that and it only lasted a week. Beware of tank sealers that are only fibreglass resin, which is what gets mixed with sheet fibreglass. Resin is okay, but on its own tends to be brittle and prone to cracking after a while. Por15 is the real deal, you won't get a better sealer in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great advise from everyone. Thanks for the step by step RB I will follow that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.