Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finished doing up the heads and put them back on and am stuck with the timing belts. I have downloaded all the forum information on how to do it but have hit a hurdle.

The left cam wheel will not sit on the timing mark
The right cam wheel rolls upwards as it should

When I have the centre wheel at top dead centre I cannot turn either cam wheel a full circle but if I turn the middle wheel away from tdc 90 degrees I can then turn the cam wheels.

I don't think this is normal can anyone help me please?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
sounds LIKE YOUR CRANK HAS MOVED W/O moving the cam wheels in synch/correctly so you valves are hitting the pistons. You need to start over.

To keep the left cam sprocket(1/3) you can set it to the right position and then tie it down..wrench on it and the wrench tied off to the frame so it can't move off it's mark.

But first rotate the crank to T1 I THINK..then turn the cams to their marks..then put belts back on..you can loosen all the tappets so none of the valves are depressed to avoid valves hitting the pistons and then reset them after you have the belts on correctly..also loosening the left side tappets..eliminates that cam jump but that's before the cams were out of synch..now not an option.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
The left cam wheel will not sit on the timing mark
The right cam wheel rolls upwards as it should

When I have the centre wheel at top dead centre I cannot turn either cam wheel a full circle but if I turn the middle wheel away from tdc 90 degrees I can then turn the cam wheels.

I don't think this is normal can anyone help me please?

What you are calling the left is the right, always consider them as if you were sitting on the bike facing forward.

It is normal to not be able to turn the cams all the way around with the pistons at TDC. The valves are hitting the pistons. Turn the crank shaft off TDC then put the cams right, do as RB suggested and loosen the adjusters. Hold the "right" cam in place with a wrench, turn the crank back to TDC and put the belts on. Use the TDC #1 mark on the flywheel instead of the mark you made on the front pulley.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Great response

What you are calling the left is the right, always consider them as if you were sitting on the bike facing forward.

It is normal to not be able to turn the cams all the way around with the pistons at TDC. The valves are hitting the pistons. Turn the crank shaft off TDC then put the cams right, do as RB suggested and loosen the adjusters. Hold the "right" cam in place with a wrench, turn the crank back to TDC and put the belts on. Use the TDC #1 mark on the flywheel instead of the mark you made on the front pulley.
Just another reason I love the group on this forum!

·
I think I was wrong once!
382 Posts
Dave0430 has your back..;)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Looking at your picture I see another problem.
The teeth on the crankshaft sprockets should line up but yours don't.
I'd check what's wrong there before going any farther.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great responses guys. I will clarify a couple of things.

No spark plugs in
Great pickup with the crankshaft sprocket but its just the angle of the photo, they are in line.
When I said left and right I was talking about them as you sit on the bike.
I understand now about the valves coming into contact with the piston whilst at tdc. I think I just did to much reading in my research and confused myself.

I have moved ahead and put the belts and set the tapets, rotated the engine a dozen times and no hesitation or interference and the cam pulleys end up back at the same spot every ti.

It was the left cam pulley that threw me though because I could not get it to line up with the mark on the cover. It sits about half a tooth above the mark and that's it unless I rotate the wheel and the valves start moving then.

I was sure when I took it off that it was on the mArk but I noticed when putting them back on that the plate behind the pulley has a bit of play in it and maybe I moved it.

I did swap the heads because of stuck valves and poor condition and on the new heads used oem gaskets and o rings, laped the valves, new valve seals and cam seals but used the original cam and cam holders.

Sort of left me scratching my head but I will continue as is I think unless anyone knows a reason that it would not line up.

Cannot thank everyone enough for your input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Project so far

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
In your photo the left pulley looks like it is almost a full tooth off. If it is that way with the belt on you need to take the belt loose and move it clockwise 1 tooth.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cannot move it without getting resistance like the right side does though. Is that normal does it happen to other people?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had a stupid thought though Dave. I was turning the cam wheel by hand clockwise looking at it front on. Would it make a difference if I turned it anti clockwise, it may stay in position. Crazy question I know

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
A little resistance is OK, it is beginning to compress one of the valve springs. Do not turn it CCW, that gets it farther off the mark.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I cannot move it without getting resistance like the right side does though. Is that normal does it happen to other people?
If the left camshaft is trying to move off the mark like the right one you've got it 180 degrees out.

It would run that way it would sound like a John-Deere.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the mark on the flywheel is at TDC and pistons 1 and 2 are up then I couldn't be 180 degrees out could I?

If that's the case I will give it another go tomorrow and put a bit more pressure on it to go around one more tooth.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The word up on the can pulley needs to be at the 12:00 position.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Several years ago I took the timing belts off of my first 1100, used the tutorial by Rudy....Put it back together, sweated bullets, but it rotated around perfectly..Talk about "Pucker Power"???? when I hit the start button the first time with everything together, I was shaking like a leaf...It hit that button, and it cranked right up...My neighbors ,If they had seen me, they would have called the folks with that "white jacket", I was dancing whooping, hollering and laughing like a total fool....Was I happy???? OH Yeah!!!!

Over the years I have been on this forum I have found that there are a lot of the guys on here have done this timing belt job, lots of times, and I do appricate all of their valuable input...Its going to be OK you come to the right place...

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Just because it's something I would miss, are you using the marks on the crank pulley for TDC or are you using the T1 mark on the flywheel by looking through the opening on the top of the motor?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The mark on the flywheel through the opening.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.