Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm ready to get rid of my GL1500; looking for a competent tourer that is smaller and easier to handle.

I've been looking at lots of newer options but I keep remembering how much I liked my GL1000 and I have a '78 in nice shape with only 48,000 miles so I am considering a winter project (we have 6 months of non-riding eather up here in MN) of updating my GL1000.

I can use the $4000 or so I'll get for the GL1500 to fund the upgrades.

my plan would include the following:

1. electronic ignition (need recommendation on supplier(s))
2. J&M CB/Intercom or possibly retrofit a sound system package from a GL1500
3. custom seat (again need OEM suggestions)
4. fork upgrade
5. rear suspension upgrade.
6. Givi trunk (bike already has the "suitcase" style saddlebags which I like)
7. some kind of cruise control a must

maybe an exhaust upgrade although my stock system is still in nice shape.

Looking for suggestions or references to threads that would be helpful

thx in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I use a throttle lock on my 1100 as cruise control. I love it and maybe only option for you. I think raddak has a set up for electronic ignition.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Does your 1000 have a fairing? If not, where would you install the sound system. Do you want speakers, or just a headphone system? The rest of the stuff you want shouldn't be hard to find, you will need some kind of rack to mount the trunk on. I used to have a Givi trunk mounted on a rack on my Yamaha XT225. They come in all sizes.

The only thing I wouldn't mess with is the exhaust. IMO, and from a lot of experience, nothing beats a stock exhaust.

There is one more thing I would be concerned about. Does the 1000 have tubeless tires? I wouldn't even consider touring on a bike without tubeless tires.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sell them both and buy a nice GL1100 interstate or aspy and you'd still have money in your pocket.

I like the 80 and 81's but any year is good but I don't like the linked brakes on the 83's

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Dyna ignition (DS1-3), coils (DC1-1) and wires (can't remember the number). If your going to throw a stereo on it you may want to contact Dyna (really good tech support) for advice on the wires regarding noise suppression.)
Progressive makes fork springs and shocks for the bike.
I think a throttle lock is your only real option for cruise control. I have one on mine and it works fine.

Pay no attention to the GL1100 guys. The '78 is the best looking 4 banger.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NO way..78 is best if you have to have a 1000 75 to 77 better running and better looking IMHO..:smiler::smiler::smiler:

But really if you are going to fit a 1000 with all the cruiser stuff..go to 1100 Interstate.. the shocks and forks are set up for the extra weight and they ride better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.