Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently (within the last week)my 78 wing has started leaking more than usual especially around the valve covers. I am not much of a gear head but I am interested in learning more about servicing my own bike. My wife also thinks it would be a good idea to not pay a mechanic :goofygrin:. I'd like the opinion and advice of some gurus (especially those of you with gl1000 experience). Is this something I could handle on my own with a little help from a mechanically adept friend/relative? Are there any pitfalls that I should avoid? Should I just see when my local mechanic can get to it? Should I just live with the leak and keep adding oil? This is also my main commuting vehicle as long as the weather permits.

Thanks for any advice.

-Joe

P.S. Does anyone use synthetic oil or just regular 10W40?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

gwJoe, Welcome!

Valve cover gaskets are one of the easier things to do!

Just losen the bolts (4) and take the cover off look at the seal ,if it's not broken then you could just put some High temp "silicone" on the seal and put the covers back on!

Don't over tighten the bolts, just snug them down, so you don't strip them!

If you want you can order new seals/gaskets even then I would put a little "goop" on them!

Some may argue that point?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks wingdawg101.

Like I said, I'm really not mechanically inclined :blushing:It looks like the four bolts on each side also have little mini gaskets, do I need to be concerned about those as well. Would NAPA have the high temp silicone? I don't mean to be a pest, I'm jus a little bit of an ignorant newbie and trying to break out of my comfort zone to try to be a little more of a do-it-myselfer...

Thanks.

-j:bowing:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't have to worry about the bolt seals!

Yes, Napa has the High temp Silcone, tell them it's for a gasket!

If you have a friend with a "Torque Wrench" you can ask these guys how much to "torque' the bolts down when you tighten them up!

I just tighten them untill they become snug then give them another 1/4 turn!

Too much and you'll strip the threads out then you have a minor problem on your hands?

good Luck! Piece of Cake!

There's also the possibilty the valve cover bolt are just a little loose right now, have you tried to "Snug' them down a little and see if the leak stops?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll check my Clymer manual for the torque settings for the bolts(should be there right?)

Thanks for the encouragement wingdawg101!

-j

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Like wingdawg said, this is a easy fix. On a scale of 1 to 10 with the 1 being the easiest, this is a 1.5. Most procedures are the same for the GL1000 to GL1200, although the 1200s are more complex than the 1000s and 1100s. But if you take your time, read the Clymer, read similar post on the forum, you'll have no problems doing normal maintence on your bike. Welcome Joeto the Greatest Goldwing Forum on the Planet!:D On your oil choice, I would recommend 20w50 for the summer and 10w40 for the winter. There are some who like synthetic, and some who like dinosaur oil. For a bike this age, personally, I would stick with the non-synthetic.

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hello Joe, as the others have said, this is a very simple job. You can do it. Take your time, read the manual, I prefer the Honda manual but the Clymer and Haynes will also provide all the necessary information to do this job. I agree with WingDawg, you will want to use some gasket sealer. Permatex No. 2 works very well is black in color and does not get hard. Tighten the bolts to 1/8 to 1/4 turn past the stop pressure and you will be good. If you just have to use a torque wrench, the book calls for 8 ft-lb which is pretty light and out of the range of most of the torque wrenches that are available. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Joe :waving:. The gasket is an easy starter job. If the rubbers on the bolts are not leaking you will be able to re-use them.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
imported post

Joe this is one of the easiest jobs you could ever take on. Should only take about 30 minutes. If you are going to use silcone to seal the gasket, be very careful with it and use it sparingly !!! I've seen guys use it and it ends up in the oil pan and gums up everything.

As for your oil question, I use just regular 10W40 in my 79. Make sure that the oil you get does not have any friction reducers in it. This will only cause your clutch to slip ending in a clutch replacement. Which is something you don't want to do by yourself.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Joe, like the good folk here say, this is an easy job. The rubbers on the bolts will always be re-useable once they don't show any signs of cracking. If they are cracked you should replace them. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Wow, that's one beautiful Bike !!

Awesome blue!

Did you have to rejet with those pipes?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I didn't rejet, and I haven't really noticed any performance difference... now granted, it does not perform like our 1200 nor like my harley. the paint is laquer silver and either laser or regal blue mettalic base coat with layers of transparent regal or laser (I cannot remember whichwas the base) on top... then a clear urethane as the final coat.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Rick S

good looking bike... you sure you didn't take a pic of mine?
Nope mine is the stock paint from 1979 Candy Grandeur Blue I think it's called.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.