Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello Everyone.

Well, as I said I am a new member. I just picked up a 1975 GL1000 Goldwing. The bike had been sitting for 15 Years, but has 53000 miles on her. I just got her running yesterday with a remote fuel supply. The engine appears to run good & has gret oil pressure & compression.

Before being stored The tank was filled with fuel & gas stabilizer, but over the years the fuel 1/2 evapporated. I have removed the tank & sender from the bike, it has like a gummy rusty inside, but when I scrap it a little I can see the clean metal

underneath.I have soaked the sender in free all rust remover & has cleaned up nice.

My questions are, is the tank lined with a black substance from new or is this just build up? Secondly, I see the main pickup & reserve pickup in the bottom of the tank,

which appear to be fastened some how, can they be removed to clean?

I am not sure what to do from here. usually you can clean the tank & have it coated,

but with the main & reserve screen in the bottom of the tank, what do I do?

Look forward to the solutions!

:cool:Dartman1962

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

No black stuff should be in there..I used acetone to soak mine clean worked well and the acetone can be reused. I used one gallon and let it sit in the tank 24 hours on each side..rolled the tank after sealing the sender hole and the petcock openings. It went in clean and came out black..

Then I sealed the tank with POR15. It been three years now and all is well.

There are lots of threads on tank cleaning/sealing sugggest you read a few.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.