Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1100 have cleaned carbs reset float level took a couple of times to get clean, slides and float right did pull idle jets and main jets to clean. It is running good starts fine very little to no choke when cold put new plugs in rode 120 miles ran good pulled plugs 3 looked good lite tan. Front right was black starting to foul the floats are set at 15.5 mm doubled checked Needle valve spring seamed to be weak in one could than coursed running rich it does shut off when not running plus mpg was down some about 25 this tank did run two up but mostly back roads 50/60 mph. What might course one cylinder to run rich I will pull and check that needle valve and float level again I have another set of carbs will see if they have a good needle and seat. Thank you

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

georgeair wrote:
...Needle valve spring seamed to be weak in one could than coursed running rich ....
Yes... but can't say I could really tell a difference in mine.. they all seem "weak".. How did you observe this "weakness"??

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

On one the spring will hold the float up when carb is upside down on the other two will hold float at a angle the forth one will not and all floats swing freely pins slide in and out with no force. I'm wondering if the needle spring could course it to run rich if it reaL weak.

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

Yes a weak spring will cause a higher than normal fuel level in the bowl even if the float is set to specs. A way to check that is to drain each bowl and measure the volume. It should have no more than 1 1/2 oz. (42cc) of fuel in each bowl. There is also the method of attaching a clear hose to the drain and holding it up beside the carb and see where the level actually is.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you I remember reading that now I will look that up and check it. Hopefully I have time to do it before the weekend

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd be highly surprised if a weak needle valve spring was the cause of the problem. Been in a bunch of 1100 carbs, seen some pretty cruddy ones but never found a bad needle spring. Leaking needle valves but not because of the spring. A stuck carb slider could cause over rich operation as well as a float valve. Normally a needle spring won't suspend the carb float most of them I've dealt with will pretty well be fully compressed by the weight of the float when inverted. The float height should be set with the carb tipped to the point the needle just seats. That should be with the carb bowl lip just about vertical. If you set them with the carbs upside down as we used to with automobile carbs the fuel level won't be correct.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I did set them tipped at a slight angle with float just touching the needle valve just one would compress completely noticeable easier than the others. I looked at 3 other spare carbs there are like the other ones that running fine I will change that one and see if it makes a different. These carbs picky. Thanks for all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.