Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The front brake light switch on my 1980 GL1100 Standard was only working intermittently so I took it out, to see what the problem was. The contacts and the plastic insulators were worn so I cleaned them up, put it back together and it worked ok, but it wasn't going to last much longer. I ordered a replacement, but what arrived was clearly different and would not fit in the housing. I wondered if I had a non-standard brake lever assembly, and started taking photos so I could post a query here. It was only when I looked at the enlarged photos that I realised I had pulled out the inside of the old switch - the plastic housing was still in the brake lever clamp. In fact the clamp alloy was so corroded that I had to chisel the rest of the switch out (yes, I did take out the little screw that keeps the switch in place!). With some cleaning up of the socket in the clamp, the new switch is now fitted and working. So, in case anyone else has the same problem, here's a composite photo showing the old innards, the new switch, and the remains of the old switch stuck in the clamp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

At least they are not sealed up so you can't clean them, right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.