Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

#1-Just took of the carbs as one of the cyclinders doesn't fire at idle. Figured the pilot jet is clogged. I noticed that there is not a slot in the pilot jet and am wondering if it is removeable. I heard from a buddy's friend, who had several Goldwings during the eighties, that emissions during that era had Honda put too small of a pilot jet in the bikes. They get clogged easily. He suggested that I increase the pilot jet but I can't figure out how to get it out. Any help, suggestions appreciated.

#2 I was also told that I ought to insert a small washer under the needle which will raise it allowing more gas through the main jet. Usually, there is a clip where we can adjust the rise of the needle but there is not clip or notches in the needle. What are your thoughts on this one. The main jets are 145, is that correct?

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Hello,

As far as I know the pilot jet is not removable on the gl1100. I tried determining if it was removable when I rebuilt my carbs last year and came to the conclusion that it could not be removed. I stuck a piece of guitar wire in the jets to clean them out and then blew 120 psi thru the ports. Worked like a champ:)

Also make certain that your sliders are not sticking. If they are you will excessive lean condition and the bike will run poorly and you will hear odd sucking noises from the affected carb.

As for #2 - I have no advice to offer as I just returned my 81 GL1100 to stock condition and it runs great. I would not booger anything up and just get it back to factory condition and go from there. Then if you have issues, investigate some modifications.....

I can almost guarantee you that getting the affected carb cleaned will get you going just fine.

I am certain that you will get additional good advice from the good folks on this list.

Take care - if you have additional carb questions let me know as I removed mine 5 times before getting it right:(

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Be very carefull running wire thru the jets to clean them. Scratching the jet hole can change the size of the jet. What I have found that works good is stranded copper wire, like speaker wire or lamp wire. The copperr wire is softer than the brass jet, lessening the chance of damage.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

Does anyone know the pilot jet size for an 81 GL1100?? Is it annotated on the 83-83 removable jets?

ernie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.