Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 interstate which i just put a rear tire and rear wheel bearings in. I used the moly 60 spline paste on splines and now after about 200 miles I'v noticed what looks like grease slung all over my rear wheel on that side. I used half of the 3oz tube. Is it possible i used to much?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Mine didn't do that, and I used plenty. If the stuff on the wheel moly 60, or can you tell? Also check to see if it might be gear oil. The driveshaft has an oil seal on the end that goes into the final drive gearcase, and there is also an oil seal around the splines that engage the rear wheel.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Yessir you used to much, it will sling off by centrifugal force whatever it don't need, messy ain't it? I learned to just brush it on with a old toothbrush and that's plenty, you'll use a couple or three brushes full.

Y'know there is a school of thought that says moly 60 is not the best stuff for those splines, that really stinky marine grease is supposed to stick better.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Was the o-ring between the spider and final drive intact and not worn or was it even there?

And yes you used way to much Moly paste as that 3oz tube should last ten or more applications on all four drive line splines.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used half of the tube on it so it sounds like i have used way to much. I did not see an o ring anywhere so I'm guessing it has been gone for sometime. Very nasty to clean up, might have to tear it back apart to clean some of it up, it is slinging on the rear tire and that kind of scares me on the curves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.