Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK I hear all the stories about the dreaded 3 yellow wires so I was going to bypass the plug and soldier the wires. I pulled it apart and the plug has been replaced and everything looks fine plug is good no sign of heat. So I was going to bypass it anyway but it is soldiered in line very close to the wire harness.
My question is would you bypass the plug and have the 2 wire splices or leave it be?:(
Thanks for any help

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

kah92340 wrote:
OK I hear all the stories about the dreaded 3 yellow wires so I was going to bypass the plug and soldier the wires. I pulled it apart and the plug has been replaced and everything looks fine plug is good no sign of heat. So I was going to bypass it anyway but it is soldiered in line very close to the wire harness.
My question is would you bypass the plug and have the 2 wire splices or leave it be?:(
Thanks for any help
Kim, I know of all the horror stories here about the 3 yellows but on my baby(85), like yours my plug shows no signs of heat and is even clean, so I chose to leave it alone. Partly because "if it ain't broke---" and because I am planning on installing the alt conversion this fall. and this way I'll just have to disconnect the plug and I am done and then if down the road, I have an alt failure I'll just shut off extra lights, hook up plug & be back on the road. Good luck. Angela:clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Any connector that breaks a hard connection creates resistance. Does not matter how clean it is. On my '84 Aspy, the plug looked fair, no signs of heat. I was getting about 12.5 volts to the battery at idle. Cut that plug out, soldered the 3 wires, shrink wrapped them, and taped them up real good. Fired the bike up and at idle I was at 14.0 - 14.5 volts.

Just my 12 volts worth.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
Kim, I know of all the horror stories here about the 3 yellows but on my baby(85), like yours my plug shows no signs of heat and is even clean, so I chose to leave it alone. Partly because "if it ain't broke---" and because I am planning on installing the alt conversion this fall. and this way I'll just have to disconnect the plug and I am done and then if down the road, I have an alt failure I'll just shut off extra lights, hook up plug & be back on the road. Good luck. Angela:clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::action::action::action::action:
That's exactly what I did. I read about the problems here, looked at mine, and it looked absolutely perfect. I figured, "it's been perfect like this for 25-odd years, I'm not going to mess with it."

Six months later, I noticed some yellowing on the side of the connector, and so I pulled it apart and had another look at it. This is what I found. And no, that's not dirt all over it, that's charred bits of plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine wasn't that bad but did show a little yellowing. I think it's just preventative maintenance so it was the second thing I did after buying the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

OK it's done the plug is in the trash the wires are solid and ready to go.
Thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Ok, where can I find this connection on my 1100? What is the connection for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.