Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks,
I've been hearing a squeak in my engine for the last 500km. Now it has turned into a squeak-buzzing while riding but as I come to a stop it ceases.
Could this be the water pump?
Timeing belts were changed 3,ooo km ago and the bike seems to run well. No signs of overheating yet.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

If it squeaks only when the bike is rolling it could be the speedometer cable or the speedometer itself. If it squeaks when stopped with the engine running it could be a belt tensioner.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yep, only happens when the bike is in motion.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yeah speedo...or wheel bearings...hey im from montreal too!!...up there you will get more cold and wet in things..you know!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

or it might be that the rear wheel splines and or pins need some moly lube . my 2 cents .

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

grambo wrote:
yeah speedo...or wheel bearings...hey im from montreal too!!...up there you will get more cold and wet in things..you know!
Cold & wet?? More like freezeing & icy!;):D

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

yep, pretty much sounds like my speedo cable-took it off, litho grease it good-probably going to have to replace it. hope noise isnt coming from idler belt bearings-kind of job to rebuild, expensive to buy. may speedo cable whined at low speed and disappeared above 40 mph.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

tlcdmc wrote:
yep, pretty much sounds like my speedo cable-took it off, litho grease it good-probably going to have to replace it. hope noise isnt coming from idler belt bearings-kind of job to rebuild, expensive to buy. may speedo cable whined at low speed and disappeared above 40 mph.
Yup, it's the tachometer cable. Needle is a bit bouncy when in neutral too. Sound is coming from the tach itself. When in motion the needle is steady at the speed I am cruising.
Many thanks for the heads up Guys!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Complaints about thatnoiseare common this time of year. As things cool off and oils thicken...

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

And it only does it when the bike is in motion, hmmm. The tach cable turns any time the engine is running, has nothing to do with the bike in motion or not.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

UMMMM....could be the speedo.....I'm deaf in one ear...but I know for sure it's coming from one of them....

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago. Disconnect the speedo cable and see if the problem ceases. I lubed mine up and it subsided for a couple weeks but it is jumping again. Time for a new one for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.