Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi...Looking for the benefit of the forums vast pool of knowledge....
Recently picked up another GL1100 with air suspension but it is apparent that the units do not hold air for any length of time. Is there an obvious answer? or do I get newer units? or replace with non-air shocks?
Help much appreciated
Hugh

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt mine with new seals a couple years ago. Not really hard if you have the manual. Some change out the springs inside to Progressive springs and say it is much improved, I haven't done that.

There are also some small Orings at various places that can leak. If you put some air in and spray the system at various spot with soapy water, you might be able to locate leaks easier.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

When I got my 1100 last year it had the same problem. I opted to replace the rear shocks with a set from fleaBay but you can also get a rebuild kit to refurbish your existing shocks. I then rebuilt the front forks with new seals and added progressive springs. Although it is not really needed with the progressive springs, I do run a small amount of air in the front as I prefer the way it rides that way.

:action:

The suggestion of using the soapy water was right on as you can also check to see if one of the air lines is the problem.

:clapper:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

ammend the previous note:......................
they are holding air but just dont seem to have much damping.......when I sit on the bike they almost reach the bottom of their travel......(no....I'm only 15st).....the bike grounds the centre stand on the easiest of bends

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the oil has gotten old and turned to mud, air alone won't make them work once that happens. Refurbing them with new seals and oil is easy and there are a few threads showing it done. Try the reference forum and the forum index and you will find the threads.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks Alan.....Will go and look at previous posts
Hugh

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

i've ordered progressive springs to rebuild mine as they are doing the exact same thing. they should be here this week. i will let you all know the difference.

Barry

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

I rebuilt my front forks and put in progressive springs, providing a noticeable difference in the front. I also rebuilt the rear air shocks and noticed yet more improvement. Prior to these projects my bike would stand almost straight up when sitting on the side stand--made me very nervous more than once! I still need to figure out what is causing the slow air pressure leak, but the ride is much better after those two improvements.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the rear springs with progressive springs andall the seals. Before the change the bike would bottom out even on the smallest bumps unless I pumped up the air to 80 or 90 psi. Now I can run the shocks at 20 psi and not bottom out and the ride is vastly improved.

I ordered the springs from Bike Bandit and used Gamblers how to as a reference. It took about 2 hours per shock but the benefits were well worth the effort.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=14189&forum_id=9&highlight=Progressive+springs+rear+shock

Peter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.