Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I recently rode from Houston to Sturgis, via back roads through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota on my '81 Interstate. I had a great time and the bike worked great except in the high altitude.

The bike ran very very sluggish in the high mountains. Way more sluggish than my buddies on there carburetored engine bikes. I am wondering if there is something that I can do for the next trip which will help my bike out.

Would a K&N air filter help, i.e. let more air in?

Living in Houston (~15 feet above sea level), my bike runs like crazy. Re-jetting it for a trip to Colorado is out of the question, I think, as it'd be way to lean for Houston. As you are aware, re-jetting is not an easy task.

Looking for options.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

A BIG ol' turbo charger ought to fix that right up for ya. (just kidding), A K&N would let more air in but short of rejetting I don't really know of a proper fix. Maybe higher octane fuel would help a bit. No easy solution that I know of.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

orbit398 wrote:
I recently rode from Houston to Sturgis, via back roads through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota on my '81 Interstate. I had a great time and the bike worked great except in the high altitude.

The bike ran very very sluggish in the high mountains. Way more sluggish than my buddies on there carburetored engine bikes. I am wondering if there is something that I can do for the next trip which will help my bike out.

Would a K&N air filter help, i.e. let more air in?

Living in Houston (~15 feet above sea level), my bike runs like crazy. Re-jetting it for a trip to Colorado is out of the question, I think, as it'd be way to lean for Houston. As you are aware, re-jetting is not an easy task.

Looking for options.
Orbit, actually there is: grab a service manual & look up the high altitude pilot needle settings. (probably turned in from 1 to 1-1/2 turns from where they are now).. That will lean the pilot jet circuit & make a world of difference in the high altitude low & mid speed performance.

Twisty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.