Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just purchased a 83 GL1100. My first wing. woohoo. The PO install a rubber antenna to the cockpit side of the fairing. looks out of place and is sortof in the way. I want to remove it and put a 12 power plug into the hole. I have purchased a proper set of antenna mounts for this bike. I see where the mounts connect to the bike but not how to run the wire up and into the fairing.

Do anybody have a diagram or pics of the route thee antenna wire takes from the back of the bike up to and inside the fairing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

On my 1983 GL 1100A the antenna cable is routed through center of the Antenna Mount, across and under the back of the seat, down the left side of the bike frame, and enters the fairing through the rubber boot at the same place the fairing connector is located.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Take the seat and false tank right off. It's easy to run the cable without getting it pinched somewhere and you can do a nice neat job and wire tie the cable securely.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Congrats, I also have an 83.

First things first, get that 'dogbone' main fuse swapped out for a blade type 30a if it doesn't already have one. Also cut out the yellow stator connection and solder them together as it tends to get hot and melt, preventing your battery from charging.

A few other things need to be done, but that should get you started.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Sounds good. As soon as I get my antenna mounts from ebay I will be installing them. Hopefully it is not to hard to remove the tank cover.

I ordered 2 mounts from ebay. They have the mopunt the cable and a threaded part for the whip but no whip. Can I use a regular cap whip. also since I have two should I hook them up one to the radio or save the other for when I put in a cb?

Thanks for the tips on 'dogbone' main fuse and the yellow stator connection Chris. I will certainly do that when I am putting in the antenna. Any other things that I should be looking at do as well. :)

Thanks for all you help.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

The base of the Honda antenna is a special size to fit on the threaded end of the cable. And the size varies from year to year. And what is sold as 1983 on eBay is not always 1983. (learned that the hard way) It also is built so that it will fold at the base. A regular car mast from Radio Shack or similar will not fit. You'd probably need a series of step-down adapters. If you're not going to have a CB then get a whole generic assembly. Make sure that the cable is long enough to reach the distribution box under the left hand faring pocket. When you do get a CB there is a special Honda antenna for this. And I don't have the link handy but according to Sierra, the repairer of these old Clarions, one combination antenna works better than two dedicated ones. If the current rubber antenna works satisfactorily then just stow it somewhere inside the faring out of sight.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I just noticed that you're in Ontario. I used a Canadian Tire setup for six months while I searched for stock OEM and it worked fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.