Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i just purchased a twenty one thousand mile bike, The bike has not beenstarted forsome time(years). After changing all the fluids and removing the plugs (Themotor moves if you put the bike in gear and push it) I hooked up a battery charger ( 2 amps) 1st thing I see is the radio has ahum, and the turn signals only work if the radio is on andthe air pump doesn't work. Next I went to see if the starter works, I heard clicking from the main relay. I used a test light to confirm there is just about no power going to the starter when you hit the starter button (Test light lights just a little) So I thought I would go to 10 amps on the charger,but I accidentally had the AMPs set at 75 AMPs. ( Yep one of those days in the making) well, now the radio doesn't work, the little light over the radio won't work,The voltage gauge doesn't work and there is a hum coming from the ignition coils. I tested all the fuses including the ones behind the turn signal and they are fine, The LED display still works but yetI no longer have a working voltage gauge or radio. Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks for any input. I've been in this hobby to many years to make a rookie mistake like I did today.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Perhaps blew a fuse. Is the battery fresh. If the battery has been sitting in the bike throw it away. It will not be of any use and cannot be recharhed. An old car battery can sometimes be reused after charging but not a motorcycle battery they are hardly good enough for the job when new.
Wilf

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

The radio has a fuse or two in the faring. Is the radio stock which one is it? What year 1100 is this? I have 2 wiring diagrams.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

sorry... but I did the same thing on my '83 interstate a number of years ago....

Here is what was destroyed in my case

(1) headlight, taillight and several other bulbs
(2) the turn signal cancel unit
(3) the 7 volt regulator (for the signal cancel unit, fuel and temperature gage)
(4) a bunch of fuses and finally the main fuse...

wouldn't have been quite so bad if the charger were hooked to a good battery but hooking to a high resistance (or open) battery is a disaster.. THe high rate charger is actually rectified AC so it has a HUGE AC ripple (50 volts??) that is not filtered unless the battery is good (and big enough).... (some of the components have capacitive noise filtering that looks like a dead short to AC... and those lights were sure bright for about 2 seconds...)

The '83 Aspencade has the electronic dash, so I don't know what could be the issues there.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Depending upon which radio and its attachments you have there can be up to 9 or more
fuses in the faring behind the left turn signal. There are 6 more in the fuse panel under
the front of the faux gas tank, and a dogbone main fuse at the starter relay at the rear
of the battery. They can look good but not work and they are easy and inexpensive to
replace.

I'd make sure that I had a fully charged battery. Meanwhile, I'd take off the faux tank
cover and check all of the electrical connections for corrosion.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the info, I found another clue to the problem, If I hook up power to the blue wires that goes to the radio, The radio works in that the gauge that shows you what station is on, AM or FM lights up and in could be controlled by the radio dials,the turn signals will now flash and the volt gauge and little light over the radio work..problem is nothing comes out of the speakers ( I've checked every fuse 2 times)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

on the left hand controls on the handle bar there is a thumb switch I am not sure what postion it needs to be in ( I think it should be in the up postion) but it does cut the volume to the speakers flip that switch up and down while you test the radio it may be ypur problem

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

With a 75 amp. spike you have probably blown every engaged fuse in the bike. And it also sounds like you had the bikes systems turned on while the charger was connected to an installed battery ??? If the fuses caught the spike before any damage was done you are lucky but im afraid that the stereo etc. are toast as the fuses are not capable of protecting delicate electronics from 75amp. spikes.
Never charge a battery while its connected to the bike and never use a charger as a power source to the bike .

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Heres a schematic that might help you, a close look will show you it's not just for the 80- 82 Interstate that it purports to be, and anyhow, all the 1100's where pretty much alike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

am i missing something here??? i though he was tring to get bike to turn over with starter i would get bike running first

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

doodle0407 wrote:
am i missing something here??? i though he was tring to get bike to turn over with starter i would get bike running first
Well if you're more clued in than the rest of us please chip in, we all need all the help we can get!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.