Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New member here and I had to post within 24hrs or risk my membership being de-activated.....As the title states, have an '82 GL1100 and it's really hard to start and has no power whatsoever......

I pulled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning, synched and air screws set to 2 1/2 turns out......Bike's still got no power....

After cleaning started to backfire but only randomly, not only during accel or decel.....Intake boots are good no cracks and diaphrams in fuel pump looks good....

Need some ideas, here's my approach any suggestions welcome:

1. Check fuel pump pressure
2. Check coils to ensure they are within spec
3. Compression test to check for either stuck valves or blow-by in cylinders
4. Keihin carbs' vacuum caps have no rubber diaphrams, just a seal/ring.....Maybe sucking air somewhere within the carbs???
5. Check timing (previous owner just put new timing belts on the bike might be messed up)

Tks very much
rigid

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Compression check first, check the cam timing for sure then the ignition system.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Be sure to check the slider diaphrams(under the chrome caps) as they will kill your vacuum and power if ripped. As to the plug boots, if you can touch em when they are firing and you don't get a poke, they're probably good.

Need to know a few things....Did you just pick up the bike and it was this way? or have you been riding this bike and it just started doing it?

If you picked the bike up this way, previous owner(s) may have tried replacing the timing belts and have it a tooth or 2 off. If you think it's carb related, try pulling the fuel line and pouring seafoam straight into it. It will really clean out your carbs. Expect a lot of white smoke out your exhaust when it makes it to your carbs. It will make your bike spit n sputter til you run it all through.

Be sure to check voltage when running. If your charging system is bad, your spark will be very weak. You should be getting 13v+ when idling and 14v at 3000rpm. Simply put, you need air, fuel and spark for the motor to run. If any of those aren't up to snuff, you will have problems.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

"Be sure to check the slider diaphrams(under the chrome caps) as they will kill your vacuum and power if ripped. As to the plug boots, if you can touch em when they are firing and you don't get a poke, they're probably good."

These keihin carbs have no vacuum diaphrams....just metal slides with a flat plastic seal ring....

I didn't check the air cut-off valves or the accelerator pumps, so maybe they could be suspect as well.....

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

From what you described, it sounds like fuel issues. Do the simple things 1st. New fuel filter...blow some air through the fuel line into the tank to make sure the tank isn't plugged(have gas cap off, petcock open). Drain old gas and put new gas in it if needed(will only self drain half way). Make sure fuel pump is pumping. Fuel pump issues usually only crop up with less than a 1/2 tank of gas(it'll gravity feed til then. Try filling the tank. I'm no mechanic, but can do the simple things. This site is a gold mine. Do some searches for your 1100 and fuel issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.