Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

At what number should I be concerned about on engine cylinder compression? I am trying to prepare my wing for a 4,000 mile trip this summer and I'm going through a few things on the Aspy. She uses approxamatly 1 to 1 1/2 quartsin 3,000 miles. I have checked the engine compression, and it is 137 to 141 psi among the cylinders.The lady has 75,000 miles on her. I just had timing belts and the brakes replaced, the valves adjusted, and getting ready to have the carburetors overhauld. There is a slight chance the clutch may need attention (clutch engages at the end of travel).( It has 3/8 inch of free travel.No slippage is noticed.) She has been garage kept all her life. The longest trip at one time so far has been 2,200 miles through the Rocky Mountains, and another through the Smoky Mountains. She already (last 2 years) has new coils, wires, and starter. Just curious as to the integrity of the engine. I know she's still young in life compaired to other bikes. Thanks for any suggestions. PJ

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Does the bike emit smoke when its running its normal when you start up especialy if left on side stand.Once wamed up should stop i suspect valve stem seals worn or gummed up.What oil are you using.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It only smokes on start up after it has been on the kick stand, not when running. I have always kept honda brand oil 10w/40, the same as the 2 previous owners did.

PJ

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

It might be a daft question but I found out the hard way.

Did you open the throttle when checking the compression? If not, give it a try ('cos my understanding is that you should).

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

PJ Here is my suggetion ,warm lady up really nice and warm then turn engine off. Then unscrew the carb balance screws,the small screws on the inlet manifolds and squart some redex upper cylinder cleaner in each manifold.Leave for about 1 hour. Replace screws start the bike let iddle for awhile it will smoke .Then take it for along ride .If that does not help try doing it again but it to stand over night tosee if that helps ungum valve seals and piston rings.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks SHREK and GRAHAM, I did not know about needing the throttle open, when she comes back from the Doctor, I'll have to try the compression the Redex trick. My wife would like me to buy another bike that is a couple years old and spend more time on the open road than in the garage. She has a 2002 silver wing and put 2000 miles on her bike while I was working on the Aspy. I have looked at the yamaha royal star, and the kawaski nomad, but just can not give up on the Aspencade. When it runs,it's comfortable!

PJ

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

137psi isn't very good compression. I'd expect a minimum of 150-160. But if the bike only burns oil on startup then the valve stem seals are past their best as well.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

If it is the valve stem seals I'd change them rather than have a new bike.

But, then again if your wife is suggesting you have something like a 1500..........................

Lucky you :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.