Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For those who may have seen my previous posts re the front brake saga, well they're all rebuilt and partially bled and all seems ok so far

I've now decided to focus my attention on the rear brake, even when it was working was never particularly effective at stopping goldie. So I removed the caliper from the disc and using the master cylinder managed to pump the pistons out far enough to pull out with vice grips, so I thought. Half an hour later with much hammering i finally got the pistons out, on intial inspection I thought that's odd there are no dust seals on this caliper and put it to one side. Only later after pulling the master cylinder and reservoir did i pay more attention and where the dust seals should be was full of road dirt, corrosion etc.

Master cylinder also has 27 years of old fluid sediment and a blocked return hole, though this one cleared in 10 minutes not three weeks like the front one. No wonder at last years mot the inspector thought i should fit a new hose ! (low effort and he thought it was ballooning)

The question is do you think I'd get away with using front pistons ? (two out of the four front ones are not that bad but were replaced anyway) diameter wise they appear to be the same but they have an inset lip and are about 3mm taller. Dave Silver does not list rear pistons so that may mean they are not available, I am assuming that the seal kit should be the same.

Finally for any one that remembered in the last post I said I had dropped my 06 GS500 at low speed and damaged my ribs, well 2 weeks on the ribs are still sore, the bike is to be repaired, awaiting parts and the bill for the insurers is just short of £1000, this for a walking speed front end wash out ! Worst thing is the repairers have said it needs a new caliper cos the front brake is seized, reason for a new caliper ? it is corroded and there is nothing left of the seal carrier ! Guess who's looking for one on ebay ? new cost is £140 plus fitting etc. I've said after it is repaired to deliver back and I will sort the caliper. Once that is done I think it is time to say goodbye and concentrate on a wing.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like your 'Wing had been neglected for a long time Phil. If the diameter of the pistons are the same they should work. The only possible problem I could see would be if they are enough longer that the gap between the brake pads would be too narrow to slip over the rotor. You could have the pistons cut down at a machine shop, shouldn't be expensive. I'd worry a bit about a piston that had been hammered on and attacked with a vise grip. Be sure the piston isn't out of round due to the clamping action of the vise grip. I have used vise grips to winkle out a recalcitrant piston in the past but was real careful not to over tighten the plier. As long as the part of the piston that engages the seals is okay all should be fine. I don't know what year 1100 you have but be aware that just about every year of 1100 has different brakes than the others. Piston diameters are different, and the '83s have linked front brakes.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

mines 82, turns out Dave silver has them in stock so will buy new, more expense but what price safety

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If you're of need of new front brake lines here's a seller on US Ebay selling a kit for all the fronts in stainless steel at a good price and he does ship to Europe.

Internally teflon coated to resist heat and externally clearcoated to protect the bikes finish.
This kit fits GL1100s thru 1982.
All necessary hardware and instructions are included.

Buy now price of $69.00 US funds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120387635400&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.