Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, here is the problem. I have a 83 Aspencade with the plug for the passenger intercom system installed along with a separate black button. I assumed the button was a "push to talk". I purchased a J&M system for my helmet and it seemed to work fine. It works with my radio, and CB. I wired myself an adapter to go from my chatterbox headset to the 5 pin Honda Connection. I can run it as my driver helmet and everything works, but if it's used as the passenger helmet, my wife can hear me and hear the radio, but she can't talk to me. I tried to switch helmet and had the same results. So it looks like the helmets are wired correctly. I also purchase a used Hondaline system. Same results.

I know for sure that something is wrong with thepassenger system. First, is the big black button a push to talk or maybe an injection seat? I love my wife and would hate to lose her on the road.

Does anyone know of something simple that I need to do to have the system work. I would really like my wife to be able to talk to me. She is scared to ride and I think this would help her. I remember everyone helped me with the fuse for station memory and now my radio works great. I hope it's something stupid like that.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

The black button near the passenger seat only ejects the passenger if pressed repeatedly, so you should be safe. Other than that, it acts as thepassenger's CB PTT switch. If you're having problems hearing your wife, is it possible that you should just count this as a blessing and be done with it? :)

Have you tried adjusting the intercom knobs? This is direct from the 1983 Hondaline owners manual for Type II Audio Systems (May be 84, but same thing)

The knob on the left is the speaker select switch/muting sensitivity adjustment knob. Whe this knob is turned fully counterclockwise, listening devise [sic]is in the Fairing Speaker mode. And when turned counterclockwise it is in the Headset mode. You can adjust the voice control auto muting sensitivity; By turning this knob further clockwise, the sensitivity is increased.

The knob on the right is the power switch. Turn this knob clockwise until a click is heard or felt to switch the unit on. To switch off, turn this knob couterclockwise until a click is heard. - VOLUME CONTROL - Progressive rotation increases intercom volume. Volume is increased by turning this knob clockwise.

How to use the intercom:

1.) Turn off all the power switches of the operating equipment.

2.) Headsets are used by the driver and passenger.

3.) Turn on the power switch of intercom. (Turn the knob until a click is heard to turn on power of the intercom.

4.) Turn the intercom volume control clockwise until the volume is appropriate when the passenger or driver talks at a normal voice level. At this state, the passenger nad driver can intercommunicate freely.

I know this all may simplify your problem a little, but Okham had a good point with his razor...:)

Corey

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:dude: Thanks Corey, but been there done that.:gunhead: I adjusted both knobs every which way. She can hear me but I can't hear her. If I understand one thing you said was that the button is only for the CB and has nothing to do with the intercom? Correct? If so, then I wont have to worry about that part.

The next step would be to plug the helmet directly into the y connector and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I need to play with the connection at the intercom. What doesn't make sense is why I can talk, but she can't. If you can think of anything else let me know. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

This is from left field, because I don't have the wiring diagrams in front of me, but I'm 99.9% positive that both driver and passenger headsets feed into the same Y lineset. From there, an extension takes the connector to the back of the bike. So since both helmetswork in the driver connector, the problem may exist in the extension cable. Do a thorough check on that cable, if you have a meter, take the left side pocket off the bike to get to it, and test the resistance between all of the pins (Even plugging directly into the Y cable if you can, eliminating the extension.) I would start with a visual inspection of the connector that the helmet plugs into, make sure there is no corrosion.

I may be wrong on the Y though, maybe somebody else can chime in, or I will find my wiring diagrams tonight and post again.

Corey

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Edit: I was just browsing Ebay, and this very lineset it on sale. Auction # 4549334876

I don't know if this will help you or not, but here are is the pinout for the Y connector.

Note: These are NOT necessarily the correct pin numbers, I just started in the middle and worked my way around, I made these pin numbers up just to show the relationship to the connectors.

The first image is the single end of the Y connector, the next two are the branches, obviously. Number7 is not a pin, but the outside ring (I imagine this has a name, but you get the idea)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I don't know if pisspodpete has the type ii radio installation sheets, or the type ii intercom/cb tranceiver installation sheets, but you can get the intercom/cb PDF here.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank all of you for your help. I rehooked up everything and then used the new Honda line system. It's working now. I will try it out on the road next.

Now I just need to see if I can get my wife to take a short ride with me and get over her fear.

Thanks again

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.