Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, ok here's my background followed by my question :praying:
GL1100 naked 1981
(1) Bike does loads of small runs, never missed a beat but battery probably never got full charge
(2) After 2 weeks hols, bike started fine, I parked up at office after 5 minute ride to work
(3) After work, battery "clicking" but nowt happening
(4) Push start (on a hill!)and she springs into life, then dies at first traffc light.
(5) Popped battery out and trickle charged, replaced next morning but nothing happening, not even turning over. Suspect battery dead.
(6) Replace battery with brand spanking new one.
(7) Now starter turns engine over with gusto, but no engine startup.
Exactly like I would expect if engine kill switch was on* *it isn't :raspberry:
(8) Indicators stay solid, not blinking
(9) Dash lights that come on when starting (you know the "all lights on" as you pass through to ignition on key switch) do not come on at all, but lights do come on when full beam/indicator is siwthced on etc.

So I'm thinking fuse, but is it this "dogbone" fuse or just one of the fuses under the tank?
Does this seem likely? Does the above behaviour seem logical ie indicators AND "kill switch" and no lights on dash when switching key switch position?
Bike, as I said, is in the office and not outside so I need to buy / get the right parts to get moving if possible! Dont fancy getting van man round...

Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated.....:claps: in advance

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Check that the wishbone fuse has a good, clean connection. (IE, remove it, clean it, re-install it.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check out all fuses and the wishbone fuse tomorrow.....just curious, would indicator work (ie come on, but stay "solid") and the engine turn over on push button if this wishbone were at fault? ie Is the wish bone an "all working" or "all broken" kinda thing?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Corrosion or poor connection where wish bone is attached to the studs may cause a "hit or miss" problem.

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
585 Posts
If it was the wishbone bad--you would get nothing.
Have you fixed the three yellow wires/connection?==This can cause problems also.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
All of the above, then...........

Get you a "battery tender" charger, use it whenever you're not riding it.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Educate me a little.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a "wishbone" fuse? Never heard of it. Have I missed something, or do you really mean the dogbone fuse? Thanks, guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.