Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a GL1100 based trike.
due to the need to move the rear brake to the left side (I've lost my right leg) we will probably need to relocate the battery box to the rear of the trike.
Its been suggested that if we do this it may be worthwhile upgrading the battery to a larger one with more power (maybe a car battery??) but I seem to recall that this could cause a problem, can anyone elaborate on this?
Many Thanx

Mike:)

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

shouldn't see where it would be a problem, would be a huge help in the event you had a stator or regulator problem far from home though

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

In theory you should only use a battery that the stator is capable of charging up fully. But I've seen what you want done and never heard of any problems occuring.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

So is there any restriction on the type of battery I can use?
Or does anyone have a recommendation?
Thanx
Mike

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Why not using the existing one but mountedat adifferent place?

If you're willing to change to car battery, not bigger than 36ah.

As written above, stator output and battery size should match someway

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well you could use the exsiting one but why not use a car battery they hold a charge longer, and wouldnt be the 1st time ive strapped on a car battery on my bike and used it i know a buddy of mine who took off his side box on a shadow or something i cant remember what bike he had and permantly mounted a car battery to it yeah it looked goofy but the car battery was the same price.

plus now you can use the existing hole where the m/c battery was for a holder for something utlize space maybe put a short set of jumper cables in it or something thar ya go

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

It should not hurt anything to run a car battery.

Power is power, 10amp is 10 amps etc..
It doesn't really matter if the 10amps goes into a 30amp battery or a 100 amp battery.

Once the battery is charged fully it's only a matter of replacing the power you take out of it. Rather it's a large battery or small one you'll use the same amount of power during normal use and have to put that amount back in.
A larger heavier battery will just provide more power for a longer time if needed.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
It should not hurt anything to run a car battery.

Power is power, 10amp is 10 amps etc..
It doesn't really matter if the 10amps goes into a 30amp battery or a 100 amp battery.

Once the battery is charged fully it's only a matter of replacing the power you take out of it. Rather it's a large battery or small one you'll use the same amount of power during normal use and have to put that amount back in.
A larger heavier battery will just provide more power for a longer time if needed.
+1

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

The only thing I would watch is the cold cranking amp rating. Typically a motorcycle battery is rated somewhere between 250 and 350 CCA. Car batteries can exceed 700 CCA and not sure if that would have any negative effect on your start solenoid or starter. I could easily be wrong but just thought I would mention it.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
imported post

The battery capacity (CCA) should not be a factor in how much current it takes to start the bike. If it takes 100 amps from the motorcycle battery to start it, then it will take 100 amps from the larger car battery to start it. Ohms Law is in control here (I=E/R) and the starter or any other electrical part will only draw as much current with one or the other battery at the same 12 volts.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the explanation Larry. I wasn't sure.

:action: Scooby

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

Depending on the budget, I would run an optima red top (the ones that look like a six pack) they are light, compact(for a car battery), you can mount them/run them in any orientation -even up-side-down.

They are expensive, but will last you at least 7 years, the only maintenance it needs is make sure it has "some" charge, if you let it drain completely you'll shorten it's usefull life.

No distilled water to add, ever!

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
well you could use the exsiting one but why not use a car battery they hold a charge longer,

I agree. It doesn't have to be a monster sized battery either, just use your judgement and get a battery made for a small car.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Car battery will work fine.. all the concerns about "matching" make no sense... yes, if the battery goes dead and you want to charge it by riding, it will take longer, but after it is "full", it only needs to recharge what has been used... a small car battery would be ideal..

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Car battery will work fine.. all the concerns about "matching" make no sense... yes, if the battery goes dead and you want to charge it by riding, it will take longer, but after it is "full", it only needs to recharge what has been used... a small car battery would be ideal..
Somewhere I read that a battery shouldn't be charged from dead byan alternator as it's too hard on the charging system. I don'tknow how it would affect a reg / rec.

As far as hurting the bike the only thing would be burning out a starter in a vain attempt to start an out of tune motor.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
Somewhere I read that a battery shouldn't be charged from dead byan alternator as it's too hard on the charging system. I don'tknow how it would affect a reg / rec.

As far as hurting the bike the only thing would be burning out a starter in a vain attempt to start an out of tune motor.
That is true of a normal alternator but since the charging system on 4 cyl wings (and most motorcycles) runs at full load constantly it doesn't matter, actually the regulator will run cooler when it is putting most of the current to the battery instead of shunting it to ground.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I've witnessed a fried of mine cook the contacts on his solenoid, while jumping his battery from a car battery. If there's an issue with the starter, that may very well happen.,,

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

To answer the question about why not use the current battery, I cant. The trike before I got her, was stored for 3 years after the owner died. The battery is absolutely shot so needs a new one anyway.
Many Thanx to all who have responded and given their views (and warnings), once again I will let you all know how I go.

Thanx

Mike:cheesygrin:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
I've witnessed a fried of mine cook the contacts on his solenoid, while jumping his battery from a car battery. If there's an issue with the starter, that may very well happen.,,
the problem was the short in the starter, not because of using the car battery

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.