Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right pulley moved out of position when I removed the belt, expected. The left is still aligned, however my T1 is not lined up. How do I get everything to line up properly? I'm reluctant to turn the right pulley and get to point of no return / extreme frustration:praying:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I would turn the crankshaft to get the T1 lined up properly. Then put the left belt on. Now turn the right pully to line the marks up then install that belt. Then double and triple check the marks. Pull all the spark plugs out and turn the engine over by hand slowly and making sure it turns freely. If anything feels like it hits something... stop and find out why. After turning the crankshaft two revolutions stop it back on T1. Now all the marks should be in alignment again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Larry. Is it necessary to pull the plugs?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Not absolutely necessary but it sure makes it a lot easier to tell if the engine turns over smoothly if you are not working against the compression.
You don't want to bend any valves by trying to turn it over if you can't tell whether it is turning hard from compression or hitting something inside.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
When you're done, you should do a valve adjust, so why not back off all the valve adjusters now. That will keep the cam from wanting to jump on you. It's the intake valve spring on number 1 cylinder that moves it.

·
JR
256 Posts
Joe, I'm there with you. I just put my new belts and pulleys on. Do a search and you will find a great tutorial on belt changes. It shows a great trick to hold the right cam pulley in place. Also if you removed your radiator now would be the time to check your water pump. I took that advice and found mine was bad. Water pumps, rebuild kits and gasket kits are readily available on line. Keep us posted on your progress and post some pictures. JR

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you everyone for the advice. Here's where I'm at. I put the left belt on per Larry's post, and T1 moved. went back to T1, placed left belt, same outcome. this time, having not yet removed the spark plugs per Larry's advice, manually turning the motor over I encountered a noticeable increase in resisitannce compared to previous attempts. At this point I had to stop to make myself presentable for guests that were arriving shortly.
I may not get back to the bike for a day or two, so my plan is:'
- remove spark plugs
- prepare for valve adj (as recommended)
- start over
- Hope that clean living in later life has some benefits

Updates as they occur!
thanks again for your support:bow:

BTW, if anyone is in the Livonia NY area, I have a new, well lit, heated garage that has a table lift with a partially disassembled GL1100 interstate on it, Sirius XM (mostly blues on) and a well stocked refrigerator with interesting micro brews......just sayin!

·
JR
256 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.