Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking to find some info on gl1100 calipers. I know the 80's and 81's used a single piston caliper. I am concerned about the 82's and 83's. Heres my question. Are the calipers on an 82 Standard the same as an Interstate and Aspencade?Now the second question...Are 82 and 83 calipers the same? I know the mounts are different, but what about the calipers? Thanks....Oldboy.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Aspencade calipers are different and 83 calipers are different from 80-82 if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The '82caliperson the Standard andInterstate are alike but the Aspencade shows a different part number. However they should interchange. As I remember, due to the interconnected brake system on the '83, all three of them are unique to themselves.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I have an 80. It has two pot calipers on the front. However it does not have the four screw master cylinder only has the two screw one.

Conversationally my front brakes have always been weak. Also the caliper covers I bought from Digger, or I should say the mounts for them are designed for use with single pot calipers. So over the winter I will be replacing the dual pot calipers with single pot calipers. I'm expecting this to result in better braking.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

The 82 Aspencade will not be correct . They are for the vented disc and are not the same as Standard and Interstate.

83 Standard and interstate will not be correct because of the Integrated brakes ...the right side has smaller pistons .

The 83 Aspencade again different because of Vented disc and caliper offsets as well as the right side having smaller pistons.

In the 1100 series its like the brakes changed every chance they could :(

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The '82 and '83 GL1100 have twin piston calipers but only the '83 has linked brakes. I believe the R/H front on the '83 has different size pistons than the '82 but I could be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

If this helps the right front on an '83 Aspencade is marked 25mm.Thats the piston size BUT not just any 25mm caliper will fit.The measurement of the inside of the caliper where the pads sit on the correct '83 Aspencade caliper is 33mm "I THINK".I'm not at home so I can't get the pics off my computer or get the correct meausrement but the incorrect meausrement is closer to 31mm and will NOT fit.So if you are seaching and swapping beware of these issues.
BTW what is your goal? I have found these brakes to be infuriating to the point of madness.But thats another thread.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok Guys, Heres what I'm doing, First off I'm a 53 year old mechanic that after being self employed for 20 years now works at LMC and restores cars for a living... I have also done some super stock hemi drag racing. What I'm getting at is I am capable. I currently have an 82 standard with interstate trunk & saddlebags and vetter front fairing. I restored it 2 years ago ang it works great. Since then I bought an 80 standard (sitting for 5 years and cheap) and I want to build a bobber/cafe type bike. I want it to look like a bike Honda could have built. I don't like the 19" front wheel and the 17" rear. The 83 11 spoke may work Ok.
I also like the dual piston calipers on the 82 & 83's. You detail them out in red and they look great. Help is appreciated. Just for fun has anybody tired putting an early GL1000 spoke rim and drive unit on an 1100 swing arm?Thanks Oldboy...........

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger wrote:
:waving:The '82 and '83 GL1100 have twin piston calipers but only the '83 has linked brakes. I believe the R/H front on the '83 has different size pistons than the '82 but I could be mistaken.
Nope, you're not mistaken. The linked front brake has smaller pistons.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, I have an 81I that I know is correct for the year, and an 82I that has an earlier master cyl on. I too don't really dig the larger dia. wheels on the 80-81s, so I've been trying to compare all the bits and pieces. 80-81 both used single pot calipers all around, and the same master. 82 was alone with two pot UNLINKED front/rear calipers, a differnt master, AND different discs. The aspy was totally different with vented discs.
If you want to mix/match between 80-81 and 82, you need to use the same year caliper, caliper mount, and disc (standard or interstate). The disc bolt pattern is the same, but I'm not sure yet about the offset/wheel width, as I haven't compared that on mine. The swept area of two pot v. one pot discs is why you need to keep to the same style/year caliper and disc. Oh yeah, It looks as though the forks are pretty much the same between them, but my 82 fender is definately WIDER than my 81.
As far as using the 83 wheels, I've heard conflicting reports. I know a couple of people who have changed out to these by replacing everything including the forks. I've seen pics of the 83 aspy front with linked brakes and the antidive stuff, and it looks like a mess to try to adapt/mix wheels and brakes onto the earlier models, but I've not tried it myself.

Good luck, hope this helps,
Todd

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Guys, I'm going to the locate bike wreckers this week-end with tape measure, vernier, paper & pen in hand. I really like the look of my 82 brakes, but I prefer the 83 11 spoke wheels...I'll keep you posted...Again thanks for the great input....Oldboy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.