2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Will brake pads for an 83 interstate fit an 82 aspencade

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I think that they're interchangeable all the way around - one part number for both fronts and rears. I checked at two different vendors.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

According to the EBC catalog, the rear uses the same FA69 pads, the front on the '83 Interstate is also an FA69, but the front of the '82 Aspencade is an FA69/2 (because of the thicker, vented rotors)

The only difference between the FA69, FA69/2 and FA69/3 is the thickness of the meat of the pad.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Wingstuff shows the pad part numbers like my previous post, except they show the FA69/2 for the '82 Interstate front, which is incorrect.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...roup_list/supplies/75_goldwing_brakes_rotors/

The ONLY time an '82 or '83 uses an FA69/2 is the for the front vented rotors on the Aspencade models. Some Aspencades (only some '82's) may have had a rear vented rotor, and that one will be an FA69/2 as well.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,596 Posts
imported post

Honda says pads are different between the bikes, and also that the front and rear pads are different as well.

But what do they know? :baffling:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

If the only difference between the three pads is their thickness (10mm, 9mm, 11.3mm) then I don't see what the real difference is. The brake calipers can be opened wide enough that the widest will fit, and the two widest will wear down to the thickness of the narrowest soon enough. I've always used the 69's on my 83 Aspy and they've worked great - front and rear.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

on my 1980 it says the front and rear are diffrent but ive found out in a pinch the front pads will fit in the rear saddles but not as good as correct ones but they will work

i had a exta box of front pads lying around and it was a beautiful day and i was laid up with the rear pads worn down too low.

i put the front pads in the rear brake and it works, one of these days im gonna go to autozone or something and see if a car takes a pad that will fit also

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

1980-81 has different calipers and pads (single pots-piston)than the 82 and 83 with 2 pots.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

There needs to be a delete button for these double posts:lash:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well look at it this way it gets your post count up

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK, so everyone knows. Front pads for an 83I will not fit an 82A. They are two thick. Front will was dragging. Caliper pistons all the way in.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I believe that they don't fit. The Interstate rotor is thinner than the Aspencade ventilated thicker (overall) rotor.

Alot of things about Honda are funky. They did alot of RPC aka running production changes which made alot of one year combinations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.