Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone have any other ideas to get a stuck brake piston out of a caliper?
I've tried pumping the brakes, air and grabbing the piston gently and I have one out from air but I cannot get the other to move what so ever:wtf:
The bike is an 83 gl1100i

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
A grease gun, a 1/8 npt grease fitting or the end of the grease gun hose will screw into the fluid port good enough to hold then pump the gun, it will come out. You will have to put the other piston back in and block it so it won't move.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A grease gun, a 1/8 npt grease fitting or the end of the grease gun hose will screw into the fluid port good enough to hold then pump the gun, it will come out. You will have to put the other piston back in and block it so it won't move.
How would I get the grease out of the caliper afterwards?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Can you put the one you have out back in then put a spacer block in and push them both out with the brake lever?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you put the one you have out back in then put a spacer block in and push them both out with the brake lever?
I tried that and only the one pushes out no matter how much I use the brake.
I was able to push the stubborn one back in a little but still no luck pushing it out.
However, I will try the grease gun thing once I get some grease for the grease gun.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The easeyest way is to use the brakes as you are dooing. it just has to be blead (no air)and to bind the loose piston so it cant come out. like two steel plates & c-clamps, 1 on each side to prevent it to come out.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I take a C clamp and use it to push the one that is out back in until the seal just enters the bore. A small piece of plywood between the clamp and the outside of the caliper will keep it from marring the caliper finish.

You might also try letting a little penetrating oil or WD-40 soak in around the stuck piston. Then try the compressed air again.

Hope this helps.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
This MIGHT help..?

I have had some luck with this probelm by using the c-clamp to push the stuck piston back IN a mm or two..Freeing the piston movement in either direction may help getting it to come out...
2 paint sticks is about the perfect thickness for laying across the caliper and stopping the pistons from popping out prematurely...
Watch your fingers...getting pinched is painful...

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Get the proper size Zerk (grease) fitting from auto parts place, screw into hole where bleed screw goes. Use a lever type grease gun. It develops many times the pressure of air (air compresses, grease will not). Block the other piston as stated. Stuck one WILL ooze out, not shoot out forcefully as with air. It will come out, I promise. Wipe out with paper towel or rag, clean with brake cleaner.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got it out by squeezing the brake lever and making the loose one come out, then had someone continue to squeeze brake lever while I used a c clamp on the one that had pushed out and the other one finally came out....thanks for the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.