Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, here’s the deal, I took the bike for a ride and everything was going well. I now have almost ten miles on this thing. I rebuilt the caliper on the rear and bled them and they seemed good. After that I took it for another ride and the front brakes locked up and I had to open the bleeds on the front and pry the pads off the rotors to get it home. I rebuilt the front calipers and bled them out. Took it for another ride and now the back seems to be locking up again. I barely got it home and noticed the rear pads smoking from locking up. Is the bleeding bad? Or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks for any help…

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Bleeding is good if they work as they normally would. But did you clean the groove that holds the o-ring inside the caliper? The pin that holds the caliper on are most likely 28 years old or so. The plastic bushing on the pins swell with age and will cause the brakes not to work right.

Also are both holes in the master cylinder open. Did you rebuild it also?

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

The fluid is not returning to the master cylinders for some reason. On the rear, the brake pedals are notorious for getting rusty on the pivot and not returning all the way. On the front the master cylinder piston may be sticking and not returning.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

i am interested in hearing because i just pulled my whole back apart and rebuilt and hoping this does not happen to me!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

I'm also re-doing my calipers and masters. The biggest thing I noticed on mine is the VERY small hole in the master cylinder, which can easily plug with gunk. I believe this hole is the return for the fluid. If you didn't go into your master cylinder(s), maybe you should. I'm of the opinion that going fast is good, but being able to stop is better!
Todd

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

litfuse wrote:
Bleeding is good if they work as they normally would. But did you clean the groove that holds the o-ring inside the caliper? The pin that holds the caliper on are most likely 28 years old or so. The plastic bushing on the pins swell with age and will cause the brakes not to work right.

Also are both holes in the master cylinder open. Did you rebuild it also?
I did rebuild the master and it seems to work. It must because the brakes are working and now binding. I am not sure exactly what pin you are talking about except the one thatallow the caliper to move without being rigid on the mount and was cleaned and made to where the caliper slides well. Am I not getting the big picture???

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The fluid is not returning to the master cylinders for some reason. On the rear, the brake pedals are notorious for getting rusty on the pivot and not returning all the way. On the front the master cylinder piston may be sticking and not returning.
The rear brake pedal is fine. I am wondering about the master cylinder on the rear. I did not rebuild the front one because it did not seem as bad as the rear. Maybe I need to take the rear master apart again to make sure it is returning fluid???? So far the rebuild on the front seems OK, but that one always had fluid in it vs. the rear that was bone dry and plugged up with snotty stuff from sitting for 5 years. Am I close???

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

A sure tattle tale sign, when you open the bleeder there is a release of fluid under pressure. Small return hole in m/cyl plugged or piston not returning all the way. My bet is on the hole being plugged. Very small and easily overlooked.

By the way what year model, linked or single ? :waving:Keno

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

Didn't think of that Keno, 83 model has linked brakes. If it's the right front and the rear locking up the problem is only with the rear M/C.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like even though u rebuilt the rear MC you also need to clean out the lines also,u may have a collasped hose

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on a nighthawk and had to replace the hose. The hose was not letting the fluid return and locked the brakes up.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I appreciate all the advice. I plan on taking the master cylender apart tomorrow (again) and checking for a return. When I cleaned out the master I was not sure what exactly I was looking at so advice given is great. This bike runs good and needs some miles to work the kinks (and age) out...
Thanks again, Ray...

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

If you open the bleeder and brakes free up, it is your hose. If you open the bleeder and brakes don't release, it is the caliper.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I just wanted to let you know what the problem was. The small (very small) return hole in the master cylinder was plugged and not allowing the pressure to release from the caliper. Thanks for everyone’s help, Ray...

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Thanks Ray for confirming the plugged return port. Glad to known your repairs were a success. :action:Keno

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.