1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a 1982 GL1100
59,000 miles on it.
Rebuilt starter installed last year.
New power lead from starter button to the starter solenoid put in when reinstalling the starter.
Yesterday drove into town to the hardware store 10 miles each way came out of the store turned the key everything lights up as normal.
When I pushed the starter button the main fuse on the starter solenoid burned out killing all power to the bike.
This had happen a couple of weeks ago but I had just to replace the fuse and everything worked fine.
I had a pack of fuses with me so put on in and the same thing happen with the fuse in every light was on all electrical items work until I pushed the starter button blowing the fuse and killing all power.
I tried bridging the fuse with a wire the power came on but the bike would not start. went through six fuses. Finally gave up and called my brother in law to grab a trailer and come get me.
Helpful onlookers suggested I just had a bad starter with a flat spot and thats why it would not start.
Brother in law shows up so roll the bike over to the trailer but decide to try once more the bike started, my 7th fuse was installed. Turned off the bike it started again so drove it home.
One thing I did notice was that when it kept blowing all of my fues that the neutral light was on and stated on regardless of which gear I was in. When the bike started the neutral was on as it always is when I start but the light went off as soon as I shifted into 1st gear and remained off as I shifted through the gears on the ride home. Of course it was a 100 in the parking lot on black asphalt so I cooked myself good. I am looking forward to a nice summer of riding how do i keep this from happening again?

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I am thinking the solenoid is shorted, nothing else makes sense.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
+1 on solenoid or the wiring to it from the starter button..and it got moved when yoiu rolled the bike..bare wire someplace???

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
In your second picture, the solenoid wiring appears to be backwards, in the 6th picture appears to be correct. I think maybe you hooked it up wrong at one time and baked it?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
+1 on glhonda's comment,the red wire and the red/white wire appear to be wired incorrectly and should both be on posts on the roadside area,the solenoid wires go on the two bike side posts,actually i would take both red and red white wires and attach them to a 30 amp fuseholder,take the other lead and put an eyelet on it and attach it to the large solenoid post same as where the battery cable goes
by bypassing that 30 ato fuse you can remove it ,replace it with say a 10 amp fuse and use one terminal as an auxiliary fuse for soemthing else,you'll have to test which side is fused

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.