Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi
I own a Goldwing GL1100. She is currently in the shop as there is some work required that I cannot do. The mechanic who has looked at her says that the carbs have to be stripped down to be cleaned and he says that the engine has to be dropped to do this??
According to the workshop manual the carbs can be removed from the top and without taking the engine out,... who is right??
My view is that he is wrong here but I would appreciate the feedback of anyone who has actually done this so I have an "absolute"!
Im starting to get the feeling that Im in danger of being ripped off here so want clarification of what is really required for this job.
Many Thanx

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi darklancer, I have a 1200 84', and if they are similar and suspect they are, then the carbs are removed as one assembly WITHOUT "dropping" the engine, I suspect the mechanic may want to make a few extra $$$ (sorry, haven't got a quid sign!) and/or does not know the 1100 well at all. A real 1100 member will be along soon I am sure to confirm (or otherwise) this, do NOT part with your $$ just yet..!!:thumbsdown:
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Peter
Thanx for that mate, much appreciated and I think you and I are on the same page wrt the mechanic!!!:doh:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Yup think so, really like to do my own work when possible, ...saves.. er..quids..AND great experience, but thats just me I guess, hope you can confirm my thoughts soon from a 1100 member.

:cheesygrin:
Cheers,
Peter

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Darklancer....I do not own a 1100 but I do know you do NOT have to remove the engine to pull the carbs. I just looked at the manuel and it gives step by step on how to remove and rebuild the carbs. It may be a pain to do without removing the whole engine but it can be done.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

It's not a pain. The carbs come out of the left side of the bike.

Disconnect battery, shut fuel off.

Unboltair filter housing and suspend from shelter.

Disconnect fuel line to rack at the fuel pump.

Unbolt left side elbows, loosen elbow clampsand turnelbows inward towards each other.

Loosen elbow clamps on right side.

Disconnect choke cable and vacume hose.

Pop the rack out of the right side clamps.

Disconnect both throttle cables.

Remove rack.

A decent bike mechanic can get 'em out quick. Familliar with GL's even quicker.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Jerry
Thanx for that. Do you know of any type of cleaner I can use to clean out the carbs in situ? my current thought is to pull my GW from the shop and try to do some of the work myself although being disabled is a bit of a problem. If you know of anything I can use to pump through and clean up the lines and carbs I would be grateful.
Thanx
Mike

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

Try a good carburator cleaner. We use Seafoam or Techron here in the U.S. Put cleaner in the tank at each fill up and drive it. Try several tank fill up.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

darklancer wrote:
Hi
I own a Goldwing GL1100. She is currently in the shop as there is some work required that I cannot do. The mechanic who has looked at her says that the carbs have to be stripped down to be cleaned and he says that the engine has to be dropped to do this??
According to the workshop manual the carbs can be removed from the top and without taking the engine out,... who is right??
My view is that he is wrong here but I would appreciate the feedback of anyone who has actually done this so I have an "absolute"!
Im starting to get the feeling that Im in danger of being ripped off here so want clarification of what is really required for this job.
Many Thanx
If someone at a 'shop' does not know how to remove them, then I would not use THAT shop to do anything.

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
It's not a pain. The carbs come out of the left side of the bike.

Disconnect battery, shut fuel off.

Unboltair filter housing and suspend from shelter.

Disconnect fuel line to rack at the fuel pump.

Unbolt left side elbows, loosen elbow clampsand turnelbows inward towards each other.

Loosen elbow clamps on right side.

Disconnect choke cable and vacume hose.

Pop the rack out of the right side clamps.

Disconnect both throttle cables.

Remove rack.

A decent bike mechanic can get 'em out quick. Familliar with GL's even quicker.
IIRC, remove the right side vacuum caps and sliders before sliding them out the left side.

Don't forget to cover the top of the right side carb.s and intake ports as soon as you remove the intakes; duck tape works great, and a little over your water ports will keep them from getting scratched too.

Bill

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Removing the caps would make it easier. It's a Chinese puzzle without doing so, but doable.

I forgot to mention to pull the left-side plug boots/wires up and out of the way.

So I say Yes, get that bike back and do it yourself. Think of the great feeling you'll have in fixing your own bike darklancer when out riding it. Your resource is here.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

I have an 83 GL1100 aspenacde and i can guarantee you do not have to drop the engine to remove carbs. have had mine in and out at least 6 times. Took me about an hour first time but now can do it in 15 to 20 mins easy. if that mechanic doesn't know that much about wings I wouldn't trust him to rebuild carbs at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.