Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned the carbs on my 82 gw, I'm getting gas fromn all 4 carbs to the intakes but it won't start, sometimes it'll backfire thru the carbs and I'm getting gas in the chamber under the air filter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark Morell

[email protected]

·
Administrator
27,914 Posts
Gas in the plenum chamber can be from the plenum gasket leaking or the bowls overflowing. Does it seem to come out from the center or from 1 or more of the carbs?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I believe either your carb to plenum gasket is leaking or one of the other o-riings between the 2 carb sides. Still could also be floats set to high or simply not stopping the fuel. Probably need to hear more about your Cleaning. and more history on bike.
you can take off carbs remove carb tops set up gas 6' above carbs and let some fuel in. watch fuel and see where entering plenum. That's a start anyway. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas in the plenum chamber can be from the plenum gasket leaking or the bowls overflowing. Does it seem to come out from the center or from 1 or more of the carbs?

it seems to be from the left side carbs

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, you need to post more detail on what you did (or did not do).

Bill
I removed the carbs, (I didn't separate them)took them apart and cleaned them with an ultrasonic cleaner then blew out the orfices, replaced the air cut valves and accelerator pump. reset the pilot screws, bench tested it by working the throttle and got gas coming out of all 4 carbs. put it on the bike and tried to start it, nothing but a carb backfire now and then and gas under the air filter plenum. The bike has sat for 3 years

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Did anyone tell you about re-routing the throttle cables outside the frame on left side, in order to allow the carbs to slide much further left to make it easier to remove throttle cables. Great tip from this site.!

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did anyone tell you about re-routing the throttle cables outside the frame on left side, in order to allow the carbs to slide much further left to make it easier to remove throttle cables. Great tip from this site.!

I rerouted the cables and it makes the removal much easier, thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.