Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1100 changing to a 2 barrel carburettor?

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  grayglennsr 
#1 ·
A friend is wanting to change the carb because the bike he bought didn't have any carbs on it... what are your sugestions...

#2 ·
imported post

Ive seen a conversion online before, it was pretty cool, they made a manafold for each side and routed them outside just below the false tank, then 2 seperate air filters at each side of the tank. Looked really nice, if you would like I will try to find the link for it, but if he has a faring on the bike it wouldnt work, this bike was naked

#3 ·
imported post

There's a link farther down the page about a single barrel carb on this section.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/76428.html

Generally, you'll get very little support from this board concerning non-stock carbs. I have several myself, and will stick with them, as I enjoy them.

The ones with a single carb (which is what you are asking about) on top of a single manifold under the false tank is the most common.

#4 ·
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
...Generally, you'll get very little support from this board concerning non-stock carbs. I have several myself, and will stick with them, as I enjoy them....
?????...

. maybe because of the thousands of members, there are just a handful (You, Broke, ??? and ???) that have them.. most of the thousands have stock carbs and no experience to add..

I think that there is interest, me included, (and I have started my own 2-bl Weber conversion..) It is just that that are few commonalities between custom singel carb applications and as far as I know, no current mass produced manufactured kits, andvery fewwilling to spend the time to get a one of a kind system "dialed in"....

#5 ·
imported post

The problem is the last GL of that application was made in 1987 (1200s) and more common 1983 (1000-1100s). There is no money to make it worth while for somebody to engineer a great one carb system anymore for sale / at a price anybody can afford.

I like the idea, though.

#7 ·
#10 ·
imported post

LD,thats a pretty slick looking manifold.What carb is that?
Is it 650 cfm or there abouts.

Im running a Weber 2 barrel 28/30 on my 77.Seems to be the perfect 2 barrel.Fits just right with little room to play with.Starts right up runs great with same fuel mileage as my stock 75.The second barrel isn't really needed.I took her up to 95mph yesterday without using the secondary.
Im surprised how steady it idles.There is no cutting or hacking.The stock carbs could be put Right back on if so desired.

Flatfour

#13 ·
imported post

Well, my manifold is on the way. I have seen them go on ebay for more than his price with carberator and all you would get was a manifold.

I took the plunge. I was going to have to overhaul my carbs anyway, getting very hard to start etc.

Oh,, I am getting manifold and carb, and I think ldwingnut deserves every bit of the money just for getting it out there for us to play with.

I would like to see someone work up an injection system to go on these, maybe a throttle body, would be a good tuner toy.

John kb0ou

#14 ·
imported post

I have a question about the installation. How or what do you use the hook up the throttle and choke on the new setup?. Does it come with the setup, or are you on your own to figure it out?.,,,

#15 ·
imported post

William_86 wrote:
$300+ for just the intake. wow.. plus the carb LOL. i would look for a nice used set of stock carbs and a rebuild kit for less than that!
Good luck. By the time you bought a decent set of used carbs, bought the rebuild kits, bought manometer...you've spent $750.

#21 ·
imported post

Here you go, now for sale on Ebay a single holley carb setup. I might even bid on this tuesday just to see what it goes for. Here is the link for it. Expires Tuesday around 7 PM Pacific time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GL11...8840440QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I just saw it and thought I would share. I'm not sure about this setup. It looks kind of crude and I dont know how it hooks up. Maybe somebody who's got on can chime in and tell us if this works or not.

#22 ·
imported post

update on the ebay single holley setup

It sold for $233.50.
It was a holley 2110 EE carb. common on many ol GMC trucks and cars from the 1950s and 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.