Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi all,

After about a 3-4 week layup I took the GL1100 down to the local gas station to gas her up and add some Sta-bil to the tank. While riding I noticed my volt meter I installed was only getting between 11.5-12.9V, as compared to usually between 13 and 14.5 or so. It was a rough start on my very power hungry starter(needs cleaned badly). Worried me I wasn't going to make it homeon the old girl.

My question is, is this a sign that my stator is dying, or do they usually just conk out all at once? I havn't had a chance to test the stator and regulator yet(had to go to work), but I'll be breaking into the manual soon for the procedure. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Thanks,

Sam.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

As you stated, a stator/regulator check would be needed. I would also have the battery load tested. Check all connections for cleanliness/tightness especially the grounds. A dragging starter will surely drag down a battery but is out of the picture when running. Good luck.

·
Cyclebusters.com
908 Posts
imported post

probabaly the stator plug connection. number one answer

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, if you haven't spliced out the stator connector take a good look at the connector. If there's any sign of heating or melting or discoloration of the contacts or shell that could easily be you problem. Also take a close look at the regulator/rectifier connector too, they're prone to over heating. If a connector has any blue color on the pins or the plastic is somewhat melted it's most likely the problem.

GL1100 stators are not prone to failure like the 1200s are. You can check the individual stator coil outputs with an AC voltmeter. It's been well covered in the forum, do a search on the subject both for testing the stator output and splicing the three yellow stator wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.