Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So here it is. partially.
Its my version of a hardtail. This is just the beginning phases. cut the rear end off, chopped some 1 1/8th tubes and welded them to the top. made plates on both sides to catch the bolts on the differential and axle. Still kind of wondering about the gas tank as the one thats on there is a kawasaki 550 tank that is strapped on with ratchets. Also the battery and ignition systems are needing relocated for the future tank. however, it is mine and i wanted it chopped. please dont post hardtail hatred. besides ...i like it.
:weightlifter::action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
imported post

That's a first for me, I've never seen a GW chopped, it's unique. One question, is the tail assembly you've modified going to handle the torque from the final drive?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,336 Posts
imported post

It's your vision.

I like "works of art", and at some point projects like yours stop being motorcycles and start being "works of art". It would be unfair to judge the work at this stage. I'm sure intheir early stages the Sistine Chapeland Mona Lisa looked a little rough.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

well. the tail assembly is made of 1 1/8 cold rolled steel with 8th inch wall. the bottom part of the tail isnt on at this stage. more pics to come. ive got a camera full of play by play.
I have to say that 1 1/8 tube that she was made of is alot less strong that the hard tail steel that is welded on now. no i hope that i would be strong enough for the torque. These goldwing were made with tube that had like 16th inch wall or less. i felt like i could bend the stuff by hand.

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

Your off to a good start . No worries over the tubing your using . once you have it connected to the shock mounts it'll be fine . The tank looks good too . I am not much for the hard tail at this point life ,after several yrs of flat tracking a hard tail . I've been there done that and shocks work well for me now . :ROFL:

As you said its yours . Make it your own and enjoy it . i do appreciate your sharing the photos with us .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.