Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all

first time poster. about six months ago I bought an unfaired 1983 (?) gl1100, to eplace a 1989 k-bike that was stolen. wing has about 36k on the clock.

so far I've had a few hassles, (exhaust, starter etc) but nothing too major. however, over the last couple of months i've had a growing problem with gear selection as the bike heats up. these days I have great difficulty changing down, and neutral is a fond and distant memory. the clutch also slips on acceleration.

at the same time, I have had three clutch cables snap on me, all fraying and snapping just below the lever. no kink is apparent.

the heating/cooling distinction says to me that the pads need replacing but i'm not an expert and I'm guessing. anyone got any other ideas, hints, tips or info.

Kind regards

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum DaelM:waving:. This sounds realy like a clutch basket problem. Clutch slipping and snapping cables would have me looking at the clutch.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks, Grouchmarx.

I'm looking at a clutch overhaul coming Monday. just wondering if anyone had ideas.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

DaelM wrote:
thanks, Grouchmarx.

I'm looking at a clutch overhaul coming Monday. just wondering if anyone had ideas.
WELCOME TO THE BEST GOLDWING FORUM ON THE NET!
While your overhauling the clutch, now would be the time to put new cables on her, and lube up the swingarm and rear wheel bearings while your at it, and don't forget about the driveshaft grease point.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks GLester. Good advice. I actually just finished a major service, only to find the clutch dutifully disappearing. Slighly peeved at the moment :stumped:. There have been a lot of problems. But I remember the K-Bike gave trouble too, and plenty of it, before everything got sorted out. Old bikes :baffled:

Gumption traps:?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.