Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Guys, I have removed the engine from my GL1100, ( no major reason, just giving the old girl a damn good clean up, repaint etc ) and have obtained some replacement Clutch friction plates from EBC ( CK1159 )...however the new plates are all the same width ( except the last one has wider lugs ) but when I've checked the ones I have in and cross referenced with the manual, I findthat the lastfriction plate is slightly narrower than the others.Also the original plates look in very good condition anyway ...my questions ( at last I hear you shout )

1) will it make a difference to replace the whole set with my EBC set and ignore thewidth of the last plate ?

2) could I put the 7 new plates in andre-use the last 8th plate from the previous set.

3) or should I leave well alone...even though I have the engine out, the old plates to my knowledge are approx 6 year old and about 6,000 - 10,000 miles old ( but can't be sure).

Finally is there any test I should be doing on the alternator whilstthe unit is out...bear in mind there were no electrical issues before engine removal.

thanks in anticipation guys.

mavman

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If the clutch only has 10,000 miles, then just put it back in. It's not a good idea to mix different type (or old & new) plates. If the stator is working all right now then testing it won't show any faults, but that's not to say that it won't pack up later on. I would probably fit a new stator if it was my bike, but as they aren't cheap you may choose otherwise. If anyone is still doing the heavy duty rewinds in the UK that would be a cheaper option.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Don't mix the plates from the two kits. Either use the whole EBC kit or keep the old set in. Kits often have one plate different than the rest to make the slack and tension correct.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

mixing the plates off different clutch sets is a no-no. The overall thickness of all the plates has to be within the specs that suit the basket. If you mix plates from different sets they will most probably end up too thick overall (clutch won't disengage), or too thin (too slack a clutch). If you want to buy individual plates (assuming you can) get the Honda ones as they will be in spec. I used to work in a clutch re-con place years ago so I have an idea what I'm talking about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.