Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Oh my poor 1980 Honda GL1100 Interstate. I was doing some slow-speed (10km/h) riding for about 4 minutes, lots of clutching/slipping the clutch. The clutch lever started feeling loose so I checked the tension and adjuster, it all seemed good. I tried riding some more but found it damn near impossible to downshift past 2nd. I could have stomped my foot hard on the shifter but it wouldn't go down. Then I noticed that even when I pulled the lever in all the way the bike still wanted to move forward, as though the engine and transmission were still engaged. I pulled-over to examine the bike and found a loose metal bit that came out as soon as I touched it. It came out from the hole where the arrow is pointing

This is the bit itself:

What is this? How can I fix it? What do I need to do/get?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

That's the top end of your clutch cable and it broke off so you need a new cable.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
That's the top end of your clutch cable and it broke off so you need a new cable.
Thanks! That brings me to my next question: Where can I get a clutch cable for a 1980 GL1100 Interstate?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

local dealer should have it

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

palmpalm wrote:
Thanks! That brings me to my next question: Where can I get a clutch cable for a 1980 GL1100 Interstate?
Your local Honda dealer can't get you one?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I was under the impression that the cable for this bike was discontinued: http://homepage.eircom.net/~wingnut/GoldwingTips.htm "GL1100 Clutch Cable. Honda have discontinued the clutch cable for the GL1100 Interstate & Aspencade, part no; 22870.463.600. This is the 62" cable (the standard GL1100 uses the 58" cable). The good news is that Bill at Goldwing International, Knutsford, UK may be able to help with an aftermarket cable for £11.95. Telephone 01925 75 75 04 (don't forget the international code) or e-mail [email protected] Their web site is www.goldwing.co.uk Thanks to Rodger Byrne for this information."

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Any one of many online retailers or your local independant. MotionPro cables are as good as OEM.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks, guys! I ordered a cable online and am now playing the waiting game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.