Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've done a lot of things to this old bike but I am a complete virgin at this, do you guys know if I need any special tools or equipment before I start, is there a sequence or some kind of methodology that I should be aware of, or better still an instruction thread with pictures.

I picked up a complete basket on ebay, "of course they assure me it's in great condition" and I wouldn't even be attempting this if I wasn't picking up some slip in high gear with the one I have now. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Why replace the basket? If it is starting to slip, just replace the springs and plates with new.

Yes, special tool needed.

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    116 KB Views: 50

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I'm not positive but you might need one of these too...

http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0015.

It's a spanner for the nut on the clutch.It's needed for the1000. I'm not sure of the 1100.

BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the spring retainer plate. Un-torque the bolts a little at a time and move from bolt to bolt so no un-due stress is placed on the plate. They've been known to break during assembly or dis-assembly.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
Why replace the basket? If it is starting to slip, just replace the springs and plates with new.

Yes, special tool needed.
I'm all for doing the minimum of work to get the job done, but isn't the whole idea of the basket to make the job easier to do? do I need the same tools to do the job either way? you have to understand I've never even removed the cover on that end of the motor before, so I might well be asking some really stupid questions.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

No question is stupid if you never done something before. You will need the tool that GregForesi mentioned to.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

" picking up slip in high gear " ?
I would think that if your clutch is going it would slip in low gears ? Could be a different problem.?
More info. required.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I appreciate your input fella but in my 40 years of riding a myriad of motorcycles and driving cars with standard transmissions, chronic clutch slip has always first shown it's uglyhead while turning on a little bit more power or climbing a hill in top gear and just gets worse from there on. believe me I'm up for any suggestions to avoid delving into a placeI've never been before, but experience tells me I don't have a choice, thanks anyhow friend.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

notodd wrote:
No question is stupid if you never done something before. You will need the tool that GregForesi mentioned to.
Ok then if no question is stupid then I guess I can ask the ones I've been holding back!

1, can this be done with the motor still in the frame? It looks likeit can.

And 2, and most importantly, as much as I would like to pay for these special tools, and thenloan them out to trustworthy people as and when required, if they are no longer available, where can I beg, borrow or steal them. (Figure of speech!!)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Chilidawg, it's funny how people always walk you thru a procedure isn't it, this man needs help, how about someone walking him thru it step by step, you know like a tutorial...I haven't done it either and I'm pretty sure the engine needs to come out if your replacing the basket but I may be wrong, and I don't thinkthe engine needs to come out if it's just the plates, again I haven't done it...Have you looked thru the A to Z tech area ?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Hello Chilidawg
I changed mine about three years ago. Never done it before that. Did it in the drive way. Put the bike on the center stand and worked from there. It was a pain laying on my back but it was all doable. Just took frequent breaks to rest. Did not have to take the engine out. Had to make my own socket to get the nut that holds the basket in. It has a lock tab on it also. Do a search on this site for making your own socket. I had a piece of hard wood to put through the rear wheel and fetch up on the exhaust to get the nut off and one with the transmission in gear. I had to work from both sides of the bike to get to the bolts that hold the cover on off and then back on. You may need a universal knuckle with a socket to get the cover on and off. The clutch plates go in in a specfic order. One plate is different from the other 6 or 7. So when you take them out note the difference. Sorry, I don't have any pictures. When I did it it took the good part of the day because I did not want to mess anything up. If you got the book to follow go for it. Balance your removal and installation of the pressure plate with springs as someone else mentioned.

Good luck

Brian

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

You're the man Brian...that's a great start...Brian do you know if it's easier to just place in the basket or not, I was thinking if he were to do that the engine may need to be removed,but if it's just the plates, well you already said you could do it in place..

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Gentlemen, I thank you all very much for your input.

GregForesi, yes I will need that tool, $15 and I willhave itshould anyone else need to use it in the future.

Lil Pete, thanks for putting that thought in my head, it turns out to be the only way to do this job without removing the motor, I've just spent 2 hours trawling through the Haynes manual and you knocked the nail right on the head dude, all the parts are on order andit'll be my winter project..

notodd, thanks for making a man feel at home, there really isn't a stupid question, is there!

And last, but not least littlebeaver,it's pretty obvious there isn't a lot of experience of this issue on this forum, thanks to you man, I plan to change that, I promise you all that by early spring there will be a tutorial posted.

And also Brian K, That is the inspiring post that I needed the most.

Thanks to all of you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

chilidawg wrote:
Lil Pete, thanks for putting that thought in my head, it turns out to be the only way to do this job without removing the motor, I've just spent 2 hours trawling through the Haynes manual and you knocked the nail right on the head dude, all the parts are on order andit'll be my winter project..
On mine, the springs were out of spec. Since I was already in there I replaced the plates aswell. Rarely, the basket is damaged. Remember to soak the plates in oil prior to use (wet clutch).

Side note: I replaced the springs with HD springs (stiffer). If you are considering them, they do make the lever considerably stiffer.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I'm sure I speak for all when I say "our pleasure". Sharing experiences helps all of us.
Probably the reason not many people have experience with replacing a clutch is that they don't usually wear out. I increased the power of mine by about 12% and I wanted a heavy duty clutch to put the power to the wheel. I stuck the Barnett kit with the heavy springs in it. That's how I knew about the little tool. I doubt that either of us will ever have use it again.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Did anyone mention that you'll have to remove the engine to get the clutch basket out?

If the basket is bad you'll hear some grinding along with the slipping.

I did mine and it took a variety of 1/4" inch extensions and a universal joint. My clutch spanner wass home made with a large socket and a Dremel.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Hey Chilidawg....did mine in June of 2009 before building the nice dry shed I have now. I was able to do the entire job in the driveway, engine stays in frame, and I also made the socket to remove the nut. I bought the entire basket too, and used that basket to line up the new clutch pack before sliding it into the engine.

It's not hard, but you will curse those tight quarters once or twice.

The hardest part for me was getting the 30 year old gasket material off the cover & engine :)

also, the bolts that come out of the clutch cover, if I remember, are different sizes, so have a piece of cardboard you can trace the cover onto & punch the bolts into said cardboard to keep them organized.

You can do it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.