Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi. I got an 83 GL 1100 I bought that has been sitting outside for quite some time and I'm trying to fix it up. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

I think my clutch is bad, when I pull the clutch on the handlebar while it's in first gear, the bike does not roll foward it stays in first. But also, while the bike is off (I haven't got it running yet) I can only shift between 1st, 2nd and neutral. The bike won't go into 3rd or 4th gear. Is this normal without it being running? What might cause this?

Also, if anyone knows, what year/model goldwings will have the same upper fork legs and also rear rotors? Can I use the upper fork tubes off a '78 GL 1000 or will they be different? Or a 86 GL 1500? Rotors?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Can't use the forks from any 1000 they are smaller diameter. It should be able to shift through all the gears on or off..but off it's hard to tell if you shifting or not sometimes especially 4 and 5th.

I don't know about the 1500's but I doubt much is transferable..very different bike..

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
imported post

The clutch being stuck is common on one that's been sitting a long time, don't worry about it until you get the engine running. If you rock the bike back and forth you should be able to shift all the gears. They don't like to shift if the engine is not running and the bike not rolling.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

The 83 forks have a nice antidive feature to them I wouldn't replace them you can still get everything to rebuild them it's not a bad weekend project to complete.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Ditto. The transmission guts have to be rotating slightly for it to shift.

What's wrong with the rotor? If rusty, just get some rough steel wool and rub it off, then let the brake pads do the rest.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey! The upper fork tubes are the same from 1980 thru '83, according to the Honda Parts Manual. The lower forks are different beginning in '83, with the debut of the anti-dive feature. Also, any REAR rotor discfrom '82 or '83 will fit, EXCEPT for the '82 Aspencade. The '80-81 rotors will NOT fit. If you need other brake parts, most everything for the '83 is specific for that year.

Good luck,

Todd

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Wow, that was very fast.

Thank you for all the advice. I will wait until I have the carbs back on and the engine running and give the clutch a shot. Might be a while though...

As for the rotor, the rear rotor seems pretty warped. All the breaks will need new pads, probably need both master cylinders rebuilt, and a new rotor on the back. I had to soak the foot break pedal in WD-40 for 3 days before I could stomp the thing loose from the rust, and now it won't come back up again so more WD-40 heh.

I bought it 2 months ago. I didn't let it sit like this....

As for the upper fork bolts, I guess I should have specified why. Suprisingly there's nothing mechanically wrong with them. They hold air and have no apparent leaks.

But the chrome is very rusted and pitted. All the chrome on the bike is totally shot. So really I just need the outer sleeve of thatuppertube, if I can find one cheap, otherwise I'll have to tolerate the rust for a while.

I found a guy on ebay selling a whole front fork assembly for just $40, but it was a '78 GL 1000 so I guess that's out.

TrackT2411, so for the rotor any '82 or '83 GL1000, 1100 or 1200 will work (except the aspencade)?

And for the forks, '80-'83 1000, 1100 and 1200 or just 80-83 1100?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.