Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have any info regarding the possibility of a collapsed "inner wall" in the stock GL1100 exhaust pipes?



My '83 GL1100 has engine noise under load when warmed up at and above 3500 RPM. If really a rod/crank knock, seems it would be at a lot of different RPMs.

Carbs successfully rebuilt, plugs look fine, sounds tight even when forced to ping (lug, etc.)

If I stick a plastic hose into fromt-cylinder downpipe, no restriction, but seems like aft won't allow hose to be inserted past where it joins with "main pipe" section (collector).



Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Corey
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

I've seen the inner wall ofGL1000 exhaust headers bowed infor one cylinder(just below the head). Manufacturing defect.

I don't know about your 1100, but some California models had a washer welded into the headers as a restriction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
612 Posts
imported post

What about the other side, does the rod go in any further? If it does, then it seems like the inner perforated tube on the other side has collapsed and won't allow the rod through.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Eamonn 1200.

Both sides do seem symmetrical regarding the "restriction". Maybe this is intended - I don't know. Would hate to replace nice sounding, good condition exhaust chsing after who knows.

Does anyone know exactly at what point in the pipe(s) these California washers would be located?



Thanks Again.

Corey (83 1100)
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

corey wrote:
My '83 GL1100 has engine noise under load when warmed up at and above 3500 RPM. If really a rod/crank knock, seems it would be at a lot of different RPMs.

Carbs successfully rebuilt, plugs look fine, sounds tight even when forced to ping (lug, etc.)

Corey
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Corey!:waving::waving:

I think from previous topics on the forum the washers were installed pretty well up toward the exhaust port end. If the noise was a rod or wrist pin, it usually shows up most when you float the throttle, neither accelerating nor decelerating. An oil gauge temporarily hooked to the oil pressure light sensor port might also give a clue since bad bottom end bearings or mains usually show up as low oil pressure.

What exactly does the noise sound like andis it present whatever the throttle setting above 3500 rpm?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Definitely NOT increasing during float. This is why I'm hopeful not typical rod bearing or piston pin looseness. This bike wasn't taken care of great by prev. owner(s). Seems to be 1-2 mm of carbon build-up in the heads. Even if it doesn't solve it, looks like head R&R to clean not bad thing. Dealer mech said "don't bother", but I can't see the carbon being really allright.

Any experience raising needle jet on 1100? (Although plugs look OK as is).



Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

corey wrote:
Definitely NOT increasing during float. This is why I'm hopeful not typical rod bearing or piston pin looseness. This bike wasn't taken care of great by prev. owner(s). Seems to be 1-2 mm of carbon build-up in the heads. Even if it doesn't solve it, looks like head R&R to clean not bad thing. Dealer mech said "don't bother", but I can't see the carbon being really allright.

Any experience raising needle jet on 1100? (Although plugs look OK as is).



Thanks
Since the design on the 1100 is similar to the 1000 I'm sure you can raise the needles a bit.

Here's the procedure for the GL1000. Find some small washers, maybe .020" thick,and install them under the heads of the needles. Be sure the washer diameter is no larger than the needle head diameter. Put some Loktite on theretainer screw threads and screwthem down onto the needles. The needles will not have any side-to-side movement at this point. Turn theretainer screws out about a quarter-turn or until the needles have about the samemovement they did before the washers were installed. Once the Loktite cures, it holds theretainer screws where you left them and allows for the required needle movement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,491 Posts
imported post

corey wrote:
Does anyone have any info regarding the possibility of a collapsed "inner wall" in the stock GL1100 exhaust pipes?



My '83 GL1100 has engine noise under load when warmed up at and above 3500 RPM. If really a rod/crank knock, seems it would be at a lot of different RPMs.

Carbs successfully rebuilt, plugs look fine, sounds tight even when forced to ping (lug, etc.)

If I stick a plastic hose into fromt-cylinder downpipe, no restriction, but seems like aft won't allow hose to be inserted past where it joins with "main pipe" section (collector).



Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cory, if you suspect a plugged exhaust just install a vacuum gauge on a couple of carb balance ports (one known good cyl & the suspected cyl) & ride the bike.. IF, you have a plugged off or restricted exhaust the mid to high throttle vacuum will be much lower on the restricted cylinder.

Twisty
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey corey :waving: A big Irish Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top