Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks.. been awhile since l have logged in... l had to convert my bike witha trike add on kit which is removeable.

My question here is the Temp gsuge read higher than l want it to... today l managed to drain the rad fluid and put new fluid in.. no change aftewr a 20 mile ride in the temp gage reading.... the fan comes on and off on my 1982 GL1100 machine.

Should l be looking for a new radiatore as the rad is the original as is the thermostat. I have briefly shopped via Mr Googler my friend and was glad l was sitting done when l saw the over $500 price tag for a radiator...

The rad Cap is also original but has no PSI rating to it which concers me as well.. l cannot just throw a new cap on it without some direction of PSI rarting can l??

Any help or direction, comments will help me..

Thanks in advance fellow Members...

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

well If it was me I would start out with a thermostat. Mine was doing the same and after the change it was good as new. Bad news is you will have to buy more coolant. Also radiator usually dont have problems unless bike sits for long long time. Long as its not leaking, it should be fine.. you can also get a radiator cleaned if that is what you think it is. I would also check the water pump for loseness. Any play means the bearings are bad. But I would do thermostsat first. fill with distilled water and see if is better. If problem fix, put all back together and refill with coolant.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Wayne and thank you for replying... L will try thst next as it was on my next list for this issue.. My prob is having the Vetter Fairing as the mounting brackets are right in the way of the tank secure bolts so the Fairing has to be loosened and tipped up enough for me to access the tank bolts to remove the tank cover to get to the Rad cap.... l do not mind any of it but being disabled now makes it that much harder but worth the pain frot he gtain l say.. lol

I think this time l am going to remove the rad as well to clean it out but when l drained it yesterday the anti freeze was nice and green so it makes me ponder... The Wife works at NAPA AUTO making our cost much lower than retail value for parts etc.. they do not carry thermostats but they do carry more parts for bikes than you think.. l will hopefully ride tomorrow for a hundred miles if the body can handle it thenm Monday or so l will searchg out a thermostat...

Thanks my friend... be safe

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

NAPA does carry thermostat for our bikes. here are the numbers Stant# 13868 or NAPA101. and your welcome, thats what we are here for to help each other. hose number NAPA NBH7733 which can be cut and used to replace both the upper and lower hoses. You can also replace the radiator cap with Stant# 10229 or Belkamp 703-1445. You be safe to

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Wayne... Maria is off for three dasys now but she will look up the numbers when she gets a chance ... that is more help than l expected and l trust your word... yes may as well change out the hoses if l tear it down that far knowing the bike is almost 30 years old.. l will have to up date the pick of the Bike now as Maria bought us a TowPac Trike kit which changes the unit quite a bit... thanks again and l will reply my findings when l get this done...

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I agree on the thermostat change and the hose & cap change. NAPA has the parts for sure. Hope you get it all sorted. I would love to see the update pic with the tow pac. I have one on my 1500 and the wife and I love it. Just had the tow pack painted to match the bike last week. So I will be updating my pic when I get the pac installed back on the wing.

Ride Safe Always!!!!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Wayne... Maria is off for three dasys now but she will look up the numbers when she gets a chance ... that is more help than l expected and l trust your word... yes may as well change out the hoses if l tear it down that far knowing the bike is almost 30 years old.. l will have to up date the pick of the Bike now as Maria bought us a TowPac Trike kit which changes the unit quite a bit... thanks again and l will reply my findings when l get this done...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Looks good. Is that a Voyager kit? As for the temperature gauge, there are several possibilities, the t-stat being the most likely. If the radiator is plugged it can be cleaned out by a radiator shop for much less that the cost of a new one. The waterpump is also a possibility. All those things assume the engine is actually overheating. Have you confirmed that? It could be fine, and just be a problem with the gauge or sending unit.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Jerry... The TowPac kit was made for my model of Goldwing meaning they made the hitch part to bolt on my bike.. the second part is attached via a receiver hitch which you can remove by undoing three bolts and have the unit off or on in less than 5 minutes...
Maria my wife will get us the T-Stat this week from her work at NAPA AUTO along with the rad cap... l did drain the coolant and noticed it was clean but thinking it hs lost the cooling \value of its properties. I am hoping it is just the T-Stat.. once l remove the original (30 years old) l will inspect and flush and gel medium l see.. this should do it as per comments in this post. I really enjoy reading and asking questions for fellow riders that have been there and can advise. I have responded to a few and it feels great to give back to another person that can be anywhere in the free world.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I finally got the thermostsat changed on the '82 Wing tis weekend. Getting thermostat was erasy as my wife works for NAPA AUTO Parts... that same thermostac also fits our 1988 Chysler New yorker as l just last week changed the entire coolant parts like the radiato, all hoses ,themostat aand gasket and new fluid.

The issue for the bike was getting the O-ring gasket.. there are or were only 4 to be found in all of Canada...

To get to the thermostat l first had to remove the seat, Vetter Fairy and false tank... then l had access to the rad cap and to the thermostat with those ityems out of the way...

I tested the old thermostat as well as the new one in hot water top prove thjsi was the problem.. being disabled was more of the task as l dop not get down on the ground or floor well and am limited to my movements in that position. Proudly this morning l was able to finish the install and got the bike cleaned up.

The wife and l went for a 40 mile test ride today and found the temp gage and bike loved the new thermostat. The gage barely moved but only once it came up as we drove through a town and had to stop at lights etc, but when we cleared the town and got up to speedagainit tookno tme for the gage and temp to fall back to a normal reading...

Thank you all for reading and advising me of thecure which l listened to closely. If this repair was not the cure the next step would be a new rad or a rebiult one.. a new rad if you can find one for that bike is$527for the part only..

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

glad we could help. I always start with cheapest thing that could be causing problem and go from there. Napa carries more then a few things for our old bikes, timing belts, rad hose, oil filter and so on. there is a list someone made here not to long ago that has parts on it that we can use on our bike that are still around.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

I read the article twice. I did not see where anyone mention you should only use silicate free antifreeze. Hope you do not have to change the antifreeze again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.