Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just joined this site today after tearing apart my 1981 Goldwing Interstate. The cooling system wasn't coming on when it needed to last summer so I decided to turn it into a winter project. I replaced the thermostat and thermostatic switch, but it still doesn't seem to work right. The temperature gauge shows no increase in temperature even after long rides on the interstate.

Also I was going to change the oil and discovered that the oil filter cover bolt is completly mangled. Is it a reverse thread? or just being stubborn?

I look forward to being apart of this forum and talking with other goldwing riders.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I would check to make sure that you have +12 volts at the connector for temperature gauge. You want to check for voltage with the ignition on. I don't which wire it is, but one wire should be at +12 and the other should be ground.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The Temp and Fuel gauge operate of of the 7 regulator located behind the light panel between the gauges. Is your fuel gauge operating normally?

Why they picked 7V instead of 12V, I don't know, but they did.

Oil filter bolt is normal threads.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
The Temp and Fuel gauge operate of of the 7 regulator located behind the light panel between the gauges. Is your fuel gauge operating normally?

Good catch, Sam.

I was (incorrectly) thinking aboutthe GL1200 instead of a GL1100.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:

I believe Honda and other manufacturers choose 7V for instrumentation for a steady a voltage less than it takes to run the ignition.

For the oil filter bolt the head size is to small and if you use an open end or adjustable wrench on it you will over time round it off. The best solution is a new bolt and only use a box end wrench on it.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:

I believe Honda and other manufacturers choose 7V for instrumentation for a steady a voltage less than it takes to run the ignition.

For the oil filter bolt the head size is to small and if you use an open end or adjustable wrench on it you will over time round it off. The best solution is a new bolt and only use a box end wrench on it.
I guess that way if you battery voltage slips below 12V, a symptom of a dying battery or failing stator / regulator, at least your gauges are correct!

But yeah, makes sense to have a lower voltage be constant regardless of the input voltage. Gauges are accurate that way.

But drop too low, and you have other, more serious problems.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

The oil filter bolt is a normal lefty-loosy ,righty- tighty hollow filter bolt that you can order from your parts supplier.Word of caution there is a line up tab on the rim of filter can,points toward water pump when installed.
Is your temp gauge moving at all? If not check out the 7volt regulator that is under the dummy lite cluster that is below the speedometer/ rpm gauges.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thank you all for replying!!! This site is definetly going to be a huge help! The temperature gauge is not moving at all so I will go ahead and check the wires. (Its in a huge cluster ball of connectors) Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

You could also ground the wire at the temp switch then disconenct it(open circuit). If the gauge is good one will show hot and the other will show cold. You could check for the 7 volts at the switch with the wire disconnected also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.