imported post

Ok whoever said "if it aint broke, ...work on it and it soon will be."
sure knew what they were talking about

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

I'm not sure what happened but the image failed to load and all the text below it got cut off.

stayed tuned as I try and figure this out. I may have to chat with someone administratively to figure out how to do this.

Sorry

Long story short, I cracked the alternator housing from the inside.
It shattered the bolt cover plate too.

I have a new housing on order.
and several other new parts.

So since I have to pull the engine anyway, are there any other jobs I may as well do while I have the engine out of the frame?

So now I'm trying a different method to post a pic, so please bear with me as I do.

And I don't know why it's suddenly dropped my signature ??? But nothing below he image is showing up.

G. Ray Glenn Sr "GEE-Ray"
Proud Owner/fixer/slave/ and sometimes rider
of the First Edition Classic
1980 GL1100 Goldwing Interstate
Currently fixing and NOT riding :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

ouch. id take it apart and find out what caused it before i ordered parts. jb

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

My guess would bethat the bolt that holds the alternator rotor in place came loose and as a result the rotor backed off of the shaft and into the stator and as a result cracked the case. In the past I have seen rotors work loose and strike and destroy the stator, I have seen the bolt itself smash through the rear case but this is the first time I have seen that much damage. I imagine the stator is ruined as well. Was wondering if the engine was making any noise prior to this happening?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, and so fast too.

I believe this happened when I tried to start it. NOT during a ride. as far as noise goes, I had been having some starter clutch problems with it not engaging and then I rebuilt my carbs recently and a whole list of things too. new plugs, new air filter, oil filter, oil, clavle clearances set, floats set, carbs vacuum synched.

I had an oil pressure problem with zero lbs oil pressure which turned out to be a clogged pickup screen. (another thread)

And I really was test riding it. it sounded funny when I started it, but it was running great.I went to the gas station and then for a short ride and back to Mcdonald's for a bite to eat and when I tried to start it, it sounded really different from normal and when I got off and looked ... you see what I saw. I immediately took a picture of it and called a tow truck. So as far as noise goes... yes, the starter clutch/chain was not able to engage and I think the alternator slid backwards and banged into the housing with a lot of force and its still in the back position I think or the crack would be closed.

So when I remove it, I'm going to have to be careful because I think its under pressure and it might explode because of it. Of course I'll have to check both the alternator and the stator for damage.

I wont be able to tackle this job for a while. I have to get some parts bought and then wait for the weather to be right before I can begin. I'm a handicapped ol geezer with the bike in the parking lot and I dont have a garage. I'll also have to see about borrowing a jack or lift of some kind. All in all, this is probably going to take me 3 days to do by myself.

The ol lady will probably make me shower twice AND sleep on the couch every night while doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

its such a shame they didnt put a removable cover right there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.