Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

I've read all the bits on the breather and I just want confirmation what I am going to do is ok.
I can never read the oil level in that bloody window so I have on a few occassions over filled resulting in a Batman smoke screen when I hit 50-60 at 4500rpm. What I have gleaned from the forum is I can re-route the breather hose away from the air box and into a container that is vented without causing any probs to the engine.

Cheers chaps
Boris

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

On my Gl1000 the breatherhose goes from the engine block to the vented container and from the container the other hose shouldgo to the air filter. That other hose wasmissing when I bought the bike and I never refittedit. Can'thurt the engine at any way, as far as I know.

However, overfilling the engine with oil isn't so healthy for it....

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Im not sure if that will work properly. Every time i drain my canister water is all i get. the hose from the crankcase is to the air filter is suppose to help relieve pressure in crank case. I dont thing there is a vent in the small canister. so it may pressurize? You mite want to look at the dipstick setup you can buy at JC Whitney i have one and love it no more lookin at site glass

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies.Looks like I am missing the vented container but the dipstick idea would stop me overfilling in the first place. Thanks

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I dont think gl1100 have a vented drain tank one hose comes from crankcase to breather the other hose comes from breather to drain tank by you left foot at bottom of frame held in place with 1 1o mm bolt tha manual say if you drive in rain a lot or drive at high speeds a lot to check it. i look at mine when i do my service work. good luck and be safe

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just tried to buy the dipstick kit but looks like J C WHITNEY don't ship international, so still hunting.
All I have at present is a hose from the breather to the airfilter box then a drain hose out of the airfilter box.
Cheers for the help olefart

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Onmy GL1000 the thingsseem to bekinda different than on 1100's according to that picture. On my bike I have one hose attachedto the crankcase tap on the left top side of the engine. The otherside of that hose is connected to the roundconteiner that has two chambers separated with a filter. The hose from crankcase is connected to the first chamber, then the fumes passes through the filter into the second chamber which has a tap to be connected with the air box (not in my case). And under that filter (that separates chambers) there is a third tap that has a short hose connected to it and that hose goes strait outsideunder the bike (draining and ventilation). In my case the ventilation is even better as the othercontainer's chamber tap also goes directly outside (no hose to the air box), while the filter inside the container prevents dust or something from outsideto go back to the crankcase. However the things areprobably different on 1100s.As Olefart said, the crankcase must have a ventilation in any case!

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Cheers guys. Brian, no I don't have a 15 but seeing as it is on the exit to the airbox it woudn't solve my problem but thanks for the diagram and link. Tried Sears but again you have to be a US resident to register. Might try new owners set up if I can find the filter. Most likely will just vent straight to a container and bypass the airbox. Can't believe there aren't any dipstick kits over here.
Thanks for everyones help. Great forum. One day I might even be able to contribute.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

There HAS to be a way - search through the members and see how many are from the UK also, PM (private message) them to see how they got one?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Cheers for that twist, got my order just waiting for the shipping costs. Still mad that you can't get one over here, its not like they were rare bikes overhere. Thanks again for the link :)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Cheers for all your help. Now venting the crankcase into a very nice stainless steel salad oil dispenser that has a glass window, looks the part just have to keep mum about its origins.
Crescent moon never replied back with shipping costs.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help. Got a shipping quote from crescent moon about $40 less than JC WHITNEY. I've fitted the dipstick kit and found it was over filled by well over a litre, no wonder it was pissing out under pressure. Now that I can go a lot faster time to sort the brakes out lol
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.