Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached photo shows the left side crossover pipe that I would like to remove to change the o-rings. Now that I have the bolts out, can I just gently nudge that 90° fitting outboard, i.e. away from the bike with a rubber mallet? I've not done this before and I don't want to bugger it up. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
It should just wiggle out Pete. If not, a few light taps should free it.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
It is probably stuck pretty tight to the head but a light tap should break it loose. Be sure to lube the new o-rings with vaseline to get them to slip in without damage.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yeah, pop it up, then out.
And a mallet is fine so long as you don't knock it for a home run.
Some light taps on the sides and lever it up with a screwdriver if need be.
A good mallet-tap should get it though.
Depends on if someone previous used glue or not.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Did you get them off Pete?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Coated with RTV Black works. Done it myself on intake gaskets with my manifold. Ran it a few months that way. I was out of gaskets and had to do somethig. Actually, it was a Gerber Barley cereal box.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you get them off Pete?
Not yet -- haven't had a chance to get back to the garage yet. I'll get it tomorrow morning.

Thanks to you all for your assistance. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crossover pipes are off.

Got 'em off. There was a small problem in that the 90° elbow gaskets were stuck and had to be pried off, but with a little gasket remover and maybe a razor blade they'll clean right up. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Replacement gaskets came with the o-rings, so I should be able to put it together tomorrow. Here's where I got the o-ring/gasket kit, in case anyone is interested. (glhonda sent me the link.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coolant-tube...44b3ea&vxp=mtr

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gasket Removal Made Easy

Well, maybe not easy, but easier at least. On the 90° elbow gaskets I tried using a razor blade and gasket remover (Permatex using their instructions), which didn't work at all; then I tried brake cleaner, letting it soak for 10 minutes and could get a little of it off. Same thing with paint thinner.

And then I saw my spray can of paint stripper. BINGO! After about two minutes of soaking, it just wiped right off with a paper towel. Didn't even need the razor blade.

I haven't searched the site to see if this is common practice, but it sure worked for me.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Those old gaskets can hold quite well. I ran into the same problem with those cross over tubes when I changed my head gaskets. Paint stripper would worry me for fear of its intended purpose: stripping paint from the engine block. That is probably a case where "less is more."

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
If anyone knows of a easy way to get the paint off of those things, let me know please. I need an easier way. Anyone accidentally remove the paint with a particular chemical?

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those old gaskets can hold quite well. I ran into the same problem with those cross over tubes when I changed my head gaskets. Paint stripper would worry me for fear of its intended purpose: stripping paint from the engine block. That is probably a case where "less is more."
Agreed, less is better. On the engine block side, I backed up the area with a folded paper towel and sprayed very carefully. There was a little over-spray which I immediately wiped off with a clean towel - no harm done. And I did use a razor blade on the engine block half of the old gasket.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
If anyone knows of a easy way to get the paint off of those things, let me know please. I need an easier way. Anyone accidentally remove the paint with a particular chemical?

Yep, oven cleaner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.