Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

gl1100 any one have step by step on how to cut down the seat?

i'll thank you later:action:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I had one that a guy cut down ,( he was very short ) He took it to an upholstery shop but you could do very easily.
* step 1 remove seat cover from front half of seat.
* step 2 steal electric carving knife from kitchen without wife seeing you ,, wait til she's not home.
* step 3 use electric knife to trim an inch or so from seat keeping same proportion of shape as original seat
*step 4 replace seat cover and just pull it a little tighter in at the bottom and reattach. Use rubber cement on foam and cover to get a smooth tight fit without wrinkles.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

ok everything seems easy beside the wife seeing me part,

thank's picasso

and ty Bagmaster for the link

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Keep in mind that narrowing the front of the seat does as much for lowering the height as does cutting down the thickness. Narrowing allows more of your leg length to go toward ground, as opposed to stretching around the seat!

HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

JimC wrote:
Keep in mind that narrowing the front of the seat does as much for lowering the height as does cutting down the thickness. Narrowing allows more of your leg length to go toward ground, as opposed to stretching around the seat!

HTH

JimC in NC (USA)
That's what I'm thinking of doing to mine plus remove some of the top rear of the pad and insert a gel pad into it. In fact I want to get some thinner and denser foam to replace what I cut out, then put in the gel pad.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

My neighbor does upholstry professionally and I had him "modify" a GL1200 seat and he did a wonderful job. After removing the cover he shaved the plastic off of the back and put new cushion on it along with a new seat cover...I have attached a picture but any professional upholsterer should be able to do it easily.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

I have a 76 and what I did was unhook the skin, peel off skin and with the old elect turkey knife cut from front to rear, parralell to seat metel bottom, about 1 in. above, now you have a top and bottom. now shave an inch or so off the bottom of the top section, fabric glue spray the two halves back together, restretch the skin back on,trim off excess material and your'e done. same shape just an inch or so lower. orig seat shape saved and still a match for seat skin shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.