Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

When the trikes hot the starter acts like theres a duff battery ie only starting to turn then stopping.
Figured I had a faulty starter or earth somewhere. Today it started hunting then cutting out at idle. I don't think its fuel as it only happens when hot and that would not explain the starter.

What main connectors do I need to take apart and check, thought I did most of them when it was failing to start.before

Can you imagine the embarrassment of cutting out on a bridge in heavy traffic with a large bus stuck behind only to get it to the crest and bump it down and get your boot caught under the rear wheel

btw it bump start easily which is why I think its an earth somewhere

Cheers

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

The earth connection is behind the left rear upper engine mount (triangle piece), good thing to check and clean but it is probably the starter in need of cleaning and/or brushes.

Missed the surging/cutting out. Probably getting too much fuel to 1 or more cylinders, check the plugs for sooting.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

The first problem is a bad starter, it's a common problem. Cleaning it out could work, but be prepared for a repair.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If cutting out in traffic means it died, open your gas cap to see if there is too much pressure/ vacuum in the tank which would mean your vent line is plugged and cause it to cut out.
Goldwingdocs.com has a tutorial on cleaning the starter.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Cheers guys,
If the tank was venting wouldn't that show with starvation in the filter.
I'll get to work on it tomorrow and pull the plugs, today was a chill day

If it's just the starter thats not too bad got a new one that I broke by not tighting up using 2 spanners, so I'll just strip the positive copper out and put it in the new one.

The earth by the upper engine mount is so tight that I'll need to take a bar to it, could corrosion still get in there?

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
The earth by the upper engine mount is so tight that I'll need to take a bar to it, could corrosion still get in there?
Most definately, you need to remove the mount and clean the end of the cable, the engine block and the inside of the bracket with sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dave there was a fair bit of rust behind the mount thats all cleaned up now. But looks like I will have to pull the starter and sort it as it's still a bit slow when hot

The plugs all looked good apart from 3 which looks like I have a slight gasket leak again.

Had a few rides without problem then it did the surging thing again but it didn't cut out at idle

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The other day went two feet then it just cut out completely with no restart lots of juice and spinning freely, same problem I paid a mechanic to fix

This was after I had replaced the speedo cable so figured something came loose as I was feeding thecable. checked for loose wires and connections everything good apart from a suspect looking white block leading to the coils, but still no joy.

Took apart all the block connectors and cleaned them, the one under the regulator had some corrosion on a couple of connectors so cleaned that up then cable tied anything I could get a cable tie onto.and it started and as good as gold when hot, so hopefully that surging feeling was that faulty connection
fingers crossed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.